SPARSHOLT COLLEGE HAMPSHIRE
Instructor – Animal Management
£18,840- £22,508 pro rata (depending on qualifications)
The post holders will undertake practical instruction and assessment of groups of students and other trainees as required as well as be responsible for the daily husbandry of an allocated section of the living collection.
Candidates should be educated to at least level 3 in a relevant vocational subject e.g. Animal Management, Veterinary Nursing, Biological Science or Zoology Degree. Candidates should be able to demonstrate significant professional experience working with a range of mammal species e.g. in a zoo or laboratory setting. Some teaching or supervisory experience would be advantageous.Closing Date: 03 June 2013
Application packs are available from:
24 hour recruitment line: 01962 797438
Job Title: Instructor Animal Management
Grade: Scale 5 or Scale 6 (depending on qualifications)
Responsible to: Animal Management Centre Manager / Curator
The College’s Vision and Values are embodied in the following statements:
- The acquisition of knowledge which is linked to tangible skills development in a safe learning environment is the essence of a quality learning experience. If this process also challenges reasoning, planning and individual organisation then it will develop valuable learner skills allowing individuals to realise their full potential. Sparsholt College is committed to widening participation in all its learning activity and is committed to making provision available at all academic levels to match the diverse needs of our learners.
- The College is committed to the principles of partnership and collaboration with a range of likeminded organisations on a local, regional, national and international basis and will deliver its Vision and Values through a culture of a professional, open and self critical organisation that embraces change and believes in high quality and where responsible contribution of individuals is encouraged and valued at all levels.
- The College is committed to encouraging and demonstrating enterprise, entrepreneurialism and innovation amongst learners and staff through the curriculum and to developing the commercial activity of the College.
What will I be doing? (Contribution statement)
The post holder will work under the direction of the Animal Management Centre (AMC) Manager in undertaking the routine care of all species accommodated within the AMC and its associated environs. To undertake practical instruction and assessment of groups of students and other trainees as required. To work within a team to achieve exemplary standards in animal welfare, teaching and the overall presentation of the AMC.It is a requirement of this post that a qualification in preparing to Teach in the Life Long learning Sector (PTLLS) or equivalent is undertaken prior to commencement of the post or willingness to attain.
Achievement of Associate Teacher Learning and Skills or equivalent will be necessary to progress through the pay scales.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist the AMC Manager with the daily operation and maintenance of the Animal Management Centre and all associated buildings, grounds and animal exhibits.
- To carry out routine morning and evening checks in respect of animal welfare, security and general presentation.
- To carry out routine animal health checks, prophylaxis and associated tasks and report any illness to the AMC Manager.
- To carry out research in respect of the animals under your care to ensure practice standards remain current and welfare needs are met. To assist the AMC Manager in maintaining working protocols relevant to these standards.
- To ensure the AMC and all associated areas and equipment are kept clean and tidy and the AMC is presented to an exemplary standard to include personal presentation andwearing of the uniform provided.
- To carry out grounds maintenance tasks within the AMC to include grass cutting, weeding, watering and basic enclosure repairs.
- To develop and maintain a well prepared, realistic and safe working environment and develop the professional attitude of the students towards their work and give them every opportunity to practice and develop their skills.
- To monitor consumables and equipment, assist with checking deliveries, reordering and stock control procedures and to ensure all items are maintained to a high standard and stored appropriately.
- Maintain effective communication with College staff, students, parents and stakeholders including employers. To work within a team to provide a friendly and approachable working environment.
- Undertake a personal instruction load.
- Working with teaching and learning staff the post holder will provide practical support, instruction, training, assessment and supervision to students in practical subjects both on an individual and group basis, ensuring provision is learner focused, ensures academic excellence, high quality learning and an outstanding student experience and which reflects the principles of the personalised curriculum and contributes to the achievement of the College’s strategic and development plans.
- Effectively supervise practical activities for a range of part and full time students. Support the efficient and effective running and development of all aspects of the curriculum including comprehensive preparation of equipment and learning areas, instructing, demonstrating and supervising students working throughout the AMC.
- Plan, deliver and assess practical instruction to a range of part and full time students. Contribute to the planning and assessment of students’ practical work in relation to approved assessment criteria.
- To support the AMC Manager to ensure that teaching and learning is carried out effectively and efficiently supporting the quality and performance management process for the area.
- Develop and maintain a realistic working environment and develop the professional attitude of the students towards their work and provide students with every opportunity to practise their skills.
- To keep records, as appropriate, of student attendance, progress, assessment and attainment.
- Support the Learning Manager to ensure learner recruitment, enrolment and induction, attendance, retention, achievement, success, welfare, pastoral support, progression and discipline within their area.
- To complete and maintain a range of comprehensive records in accordance with the AMC Managers requirements.
- Ensure compliance with, and implementation of, all College policies and procedures with particular reference, but not exclusively, to Equality and Diversity, Health and Safety and Every Child Matters.
- To support the AMC Manager to ensure that learner recruitment, retention, attendance, progression, achievement and success are effectively managed and monitored and that appropriate records are kept.
- To undertake administrative tasks as required including the completion of registers and to provide accurate and timely reports as required.
- Participate in College groups, course team meetings, course reviews and other activities when required.
- Monitor and maintain stocks and stock lists/inventories, order appropriate tools, equipment, materials and consumables and assist with stock checks and control.
Health and Safety
- To work in compliance with the Sparsholt College Health and Safety Policy, assisting with the maintenance and review of all health and safety documentation and to undertake any relevant training as required.
- In liaison with the AMC Manager, ensure all animal and health and safety signage is maintained and updated.
- To comply with and promote College Health and Safety policies and take appropriate responsibility to ensure the health and safety of self and others.
- Prepare risk assessments, implement health and safety related actions identified through risk assessment and assist in the induction of staff and students in the safe use of facilities, tools and equipment.
- Follow safe working procedures personally and ensure that learners follow all safe working procedures and practices in the learning environment, including giving regular clear verbal and written instruction to all learners.
- Ensure the learning areas meet all relevant legislative requirements, including carrying out risk assessment where necessary. Work with AMC Manager to ensure College Health and Safety systems and procedures are in place.
- Maintain safety standards in accordance with the Law and College’s Health & Safety Policy and to act as a First Aider including responsibility for maintaining first aid equipment.
- Ensure that all accidents are recorded and reported following the agreed College procedure.
- Ensure compliance with and implementation of all College policies and procedures in respect of Equality and Diversity.
- Ensure compliance with all College policies and procedures in respect of Child Protection Legislation (Every Child Matters).
- To provide essential cover for the AMC where needed in respect of holidays, sickness, weekends and evenings as necessary. A rota system will be used in liaison with the AMC Manager.
- To engage in team meetings.
- To attend and support College open days and events as required.
- Travelling and working away from normal base as may be required from time to time.
- To actively participate in ensuring that there is always sufficient cover at the AMC by ensuring that all proposed holidays and time off in lieu are discussed and agreed in advance with the Manager to ensure it fits into the working commitments of the Animal Management Centre and other activities.
- To undertake any staff development and training required for this position and for the improved operation of the Animal Management Centre and affiliated areas, such as First Aid at work, MIDAS, and MO1 initially. Other training required will be related to Assessors Awards, Teacher Training, Veterinary Medical Competency and the use of specified AMC equipment / machinery. Specialist courses in respect of animal husbandry may also be required.
- To undertake such other reasonable duties as may be required from time to time and review this Job Description at least annually with the Assistant Principal through the College performance management scheme.
Date Job Description prepared:
Agreed by Job Holder:
Approved by Manager:
Approved by Director of Human Resources:
This job description outlines the main duties and key performance outcomes of the role. It is not exhaustive and may be varied by the College following consultation with the post holder.
The job description, duties and key performance outcomes must be reviewed annually with the line manager and approved by the Head of Human Resources and a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
Person Specification/Competency Profile
Instructor Animal Management
Instructor – Animal Management
SKILLS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
Technical competency and knowledge (qualifications and training)
Qualification certificates / Interview Questions
Qualification certificates / Interview Questions
Experience and Skills
1. Experience of performing husbandry duties across a range of species and all associated tasks to include basic grounds maintenance
2. Sound knowledge of animal welfare issues
3. Ability to teach practical skills (including husbandry, handling and restraint techniques) and to supervise a range of full and part time students
4. Ability to work with students and colleagues to support the delivery of a wide ranging curriculum.
5. Ability to maintain a well prepared, realistic and safe working environment and develop the professional attitude of the students towards their work and give them every opportunity to practice and develop their skills
6. Experience in using and maintaining a range of appropriate equipment
Application / References
SKILLS AND CORE COMPTENCIES
Experience and Skills (contd/…..)
7. Experience in using equipment and materials safely and effectively
8. Ability to plan and assess students’ practical work in relation to approved assessment criteria
9. Ability to keep records, as appropriate, of student attendance, progress, assessment and attainment and all appropriate animal records
10. Experience of effective implementation of Health and Safety procedures
Personal qualities, communicating and relating to others.
Copy of driving Licence
Please mention Zoo News Digest should you apply for this post
Please also consider advertising your vacancy here in Zoo Jobs. Simply send it as an attachment or within the body of your email to email@example.com
Vacancies advertised here reach more zoo/aquarium staff in more zoos around the world faster than any other medium
For Your Further Information