Job Number: 18687
The City of Edmonton, recognized as one of Alberta’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers in 2014, continues to attract and retain employees who are passionate about their community, proud of the work they do and committed to making Edmonton a great place to live, work and play
Located in the heart of the river valley, the Edmonton Valley Zoo is home to over 350 animals from different climates and habitats. Over time, the zoo's collection changes as the goals of the facility and the zoological community evolve. The Zoo Veterinarian ensures that the animals residing within the zoo enjoy the healthiest and most enriched environment possible while facilitating conservation of those same animals in the wild.
Accountable for providing consistent, routine and effective health care advice, treatment and surgery for healthy and sick animals at the Valley Zoo, the Zoo Veterinarian:
- Oversees the development, coordination and maintenance of the health and well-being of the zoological collection so as to effectively sustain a preventative health program and guard against communicable diseases. This includes coordination of nutrition, environment, reproductive and collection sustainability programs
- Develops, implements, and evaluates animal health policies, processes and protocols, improving and enhancing processes
- Administers disease diagnosis, prescribes medications as well as identifies appropriate treatment for all sick, injured and stressed animals onsite including coordinating a pathology program to further postmortem and trend analysis studies
- Researches, plans and coordinates for future species additions into the collection by providing information, knowledge and updates for staff involved in animal care. This includes conducting and establishing effective quarantine and testing procedures for all animals entering or leaving the collection
- Participates in exhibit planning and design, collection management planning, veterinary outreach activities, and zoological research programs which includes participation in fund development and identifying partnership opportunities
- Supervises technical animal health staff as well as provides training and direction on animal health issues. Oversees and maintains complete medical records on all clinical and pathology cases
- Provides 24 hour a day on-call veterinary duties including emergency medical attention to diseased or traumatized animals
- Consults and assists general practice veterinarians and wildlife professionals in the treatment or handling of exotic animals and wildlife
- Actively participates in developing the next generation of veterinary professionals through internship and rotation programs with the University of Calgary Veterinary Medicine, Western Canadian Veterinary Medicine, Northern Alberta Institute of Technology or other recognized post-secondary animal health educational institutions
- Primary zoo liaison with respect to veterinary related media relation questions and enquiries
This is a great opportunity for an established veterinarian who has proven expertise in the improvement and maintenance of the health and prevention of disease for a vast array of species within a zoological environment.
The successful individual must have…
- Completion of a Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine from a recognized institution.
- Demonstrated 10+ years veterinary experience combined with five (5) years of zoological medicine. Board certification in zoological medicine preferred
- Proficient in computer use and zoo industry record management software (ZIMS)
- Strong systemic and strategic thinking in combination with a proven ability to translate thinking to action and impact
- An excellent ability to build strategic networks and partnerships with various internal and external stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
Note: The successful candidate will be required to obtain a satisfactory Edmonton Police Service Police Information Check Certificate from the Police Information Check Section located at #108, 14315 118 Avenue. This can usually be obtained with only a single visit to the Police Information Check Section.
Hours of Work: 36.9 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Salary range: 91M, Salary Grade: PT4, $94,986 - $135,694 (Annually)
- Applicants may be tested
- The City of Edmonton thanks applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Candidates considered for the position will be contacted
- We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals
The Province of Alberta is a party to the federal Agreement on Internal Trade, the Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility Agreement with British Columbia, and the New West Partnership with British Columbia and Saskatchewan. All of these agreements promote labour mobility between the provinces. Applicants may obtain information regarding recognition of extra provincial credentials at http://www.newwestpartnershiptrade.ca/.
Recruitment Consultant: NB/JP
Classification Title: Zoo Veterinarian
Posting Date: Jun 19, 2014
Closing Date: Jul 11, 2014, 9:59:00 AM
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Permanent Full-time
Union : Management
Department: Edmonton Valley Zoo & John Janzen Nature Centre (Community Services)
Work Location(s): Valley Zoo, 13315 Buena Vista Road (87 Ave) Edmonton T5R 5R1
To apply please click
Please mention Zoo News Digest
Should you apply for this post