Wildwood Trust is looking for an experienced Animal Keeper.
Your primary focus will be the care of a section of wildwood’s unique collection of British wildlife. This will encompass food preparation, feeding and cleaning. You will be responsible for the welfare and wellbeing of these animals, monitoring health issues and improving their enclosures to provide behavioural enrichment. You will take instruction from the head and deputy head keeper, working to priorities to achieve the best animal welfare within the resources we have.
Average of 37.5 hours over 5 days, involving weekends, bank holidays and evening work during some events.
Duties to include:
Looking after the Wildwood collection.
Exhibit maintenance and design.
Customer care and animal talks.
Key skills required for the role:
The post-holder must have two years’ experience in a similar role. They will be mature in outlook, confident, hard working and practical. Common sense and the ability to concentrate and prioritise on the essentials of a task will be key elements of your personality. You will need to be prepared to work through peak times in what is a seasonal business.
- A minimum work history of two years of paid employment, working with a range of relevant species, in a zoo or wildlife park.
- Demonstrable understanding of animal management.
- Experience of captive animal husbandry.
- The ability and desire to enhance and develop your knowledge.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Must be a team player with the ability to multi-task.
- A genuine love of British wildlife.
- Experience in these areas is desirable; you must be able to demonstrate recent practical experience in at least one:
- Experience of captive breeding and animal care
- Experience of practical building work and construction
- Experience in giving public talks and demonstrations
- Experience of conservation reintroduction projects
- Experience of health and safety systems
- A relevant animal qualification such as the DMZAA qualification
How to apply:
1) Download and read the full job specification from our website www.wildwoodtrust.org.
2) Please email Jon May, Park Manager, with your CV and covering letter detailing your experience and suitability: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline 17th August 2015
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in