Senior Animal Keeper
ZSL London Zoo
Position: Senior Animal Keeper (Full-time / Permanent)
Salary: £28,272 (Inclusive of London Weighting and Weekend Enhancement)
Location: ZSL London Zoo - NW1
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation.
ZSL's mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
Overview of Role
An opening has arisen for a Senior Animal Keeper in our Mammals North Section at ZSL London Zoo. This position will include deputising for the Mammals North Team Leader in their absence to ensure the smooth operation of the section as well as being directly involved in the day to day operation of the Mammals North section.
The Senior Animal Keeper will assist the Team Leader in all aspects of their work, primarily with staff management and the care of the animals in the section. The successful candidate will also be expected to:
- Observe the behaviour, health and security of animals and report any problems to the Team Leader or manager including defects or repairs required to enclosures and relevant departments required to support work needed.
- Assist with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
- Cleaning and maintaining of exhibits and other designated areas.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a good level of skill and knowledge together with a proven work record with Giraffes, zebras, okapis, warthogs and African hunting dogs.
- Have experience with large carnivores and /or primates would also be an advantage.
- Have strong attention to detail and the ability to clearly convey instruction.
- Have an understanding of mammal breeding and good familiarity with external zoo associations such as BIAZA and EAZA.
- Be able to use Microsoft software including Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Have a qualification in a relevant field at university level and/or diploma in the DZMAA Keeper’s course or equivalent work experience.
- Be reliable and have good time-keeping and attendance record and able to demonstrate leadership and professionalism.
Please note: Flexible working is required for this position which will include working alternate weekends and bank holidays.
Applicants should send their completed Equality of Opportunity Monitoring Form, CV and ZSL Application Form detailing relevant experience and skills and stating why they want the position, by email to ZSL’s HR Department (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We regret that we will only be able to contact applicants who have been selected for interview.
Closing date for applications: Midnight Sunday 26th July 2015
The Zoological Society of London is a registered Charity no: 208728.
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in