ZSL London Zoo
Position: Trainee Keeper (Full-time / Permanent)
Salary: £20,546 p.a. (Inclusive of London Weighting and Weekend Enhancement)
Location: ZSL London Zoo - NW1
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
Overview of Role:
We are looking to recruit a Trainee Keeper to work on our Mammals North section. Working hours are 37.5 per week, worked within a roster which includes regular weekends so flexibility regarding hours is crucial. Applicants must have a passion for working with a variety of animals within a Zoo environment. Good communication skills and experience of dealing with the public is essential, together with the ability to work effectively within a team.
- Assisting as instructed with the cleaning of designated areas.
- Assisting as instructed with cage/paddock servicing
- Assisting under instruction with the preparation of approved diets.
- Assisting under instruction/supervision the carrying out of correct feeding procedures where this is deemed appropriate by the Team Leader
- Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times.
- Assisting where appropriate with the movement and/or training of animals, “Meet the Animals” etc. as directed by senior staff.
- Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors.
- Reporting defects and repairs required to the Team Leader or more senior staff.
- Assisting in various projects related to animal management as directed by senior animal management staff.
Please note: Candidates must demonstrate a keen interest in animal management as you will also be expected to undertake the appropriate studies to progress within the Keeper training programme.
Applicants should send their completed Equality of Opportunity Monitoring Form and ZSL Application Form detailing relevant experience and skills and stating why they want the position, by email to ZSL’s HR Department: email@example.com We regret that we will only be able to contact applicants who have been selected for interview.
Closing Date: Midnight Sunday 19th July 2015.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in