Animal Training Manager
(Temporary Contract Expected To Last 12 Months)
Twycross Zoo is at a very exciting stage of development with the first phase of a 20 year masterplan already underway. The plan will see the zoo developing new habitats for a refreshed animal collection starting with Giraffe Savannah and Gibbon Forest in 2015.
We currently have a temporary vacancy for an Animal Training Manager in our Life Sciences Department.
· Instruct staff in training methodologies and supervise, regulate and monitor animal training within the Zoo.
· Oversee and develop the in-house programme of animal enrichment
· Oversee and assist with training of the animals on all sections including liaison between departments to ensure priority species are trained
· Effectively communicate training requests through the correct channels
· Record, monitor and evaluate training
· Research animals’ requirements, keep abreast of developments and make recommendations to animal-keeping management
· Keep updated on training methods
Key Skills & Requirements:
· Practical and relevant animal keeping and training experience
· Good background knowledge of psychology and training methods
· Diploma in the Management of Zoo & Aquarium Animals
· Enthusiastic, motivated and with an interest in zoo animal management and education
· Commitment to continual professional development
· Good communication and supervisory skills with ability to motivate and manage staff
· A good team worker
The role is temporary and expected to last 12 months to cover maternity leave and includes weekend duties on a rota system. Salary is paid monthly and we provide uniform and 31 days holiday per annum (pro-rata).
Please apply on-line by sending your CV with a covering letter to, including details of your salary expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org
This vacancy will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received, therefore you should submit your application as soon as possible
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in