Permanent – Full time
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.7 million visitors an inspirational day out. We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have a vacancy for an Aquarist to join our busy and diverse Aquarium section. The successful candidate will assist in all aspects of animal welfare, hygiene and life support, and will make detailed observations and records of all aspects of their behaviour and husbandry. They will ensure that all exhibits are of an excellent standard for both animals and visitors alike, and provide outstanding customer care.
The successful applicant will have:
• A HND or degree level qualification in a zoological related science or equivalent experience
• Practical experience of marine and freshwater fish and aquatic invertebrate husbandry in a zoo or aquarium setting
• Outstanding observational skills, attention to detail and be committed to ensuring the highest possible standards of animal health and welfare are met
• A proven track record of delivering high standards of aquarium presentation
• The ability to prioritise a diverse workload and be able to work both in a team and independently
• A thorough understanding of the contribution ex situ populations of fish and aquatic vertebrates can make to education, science and conservation
Competency in the use of computers and basic software packages including ZIMS would be advantageous for this role in order to maintain accurate records. A full driving licence valid in the UK would also be desirable.
Salary for the role is £17,367 per annum for a 40 hour week on a rota basis (including some weekends and bank holidays). In addition we offer a range of amazing benefits including:
• a Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with high contribution levels paid by the employer
• healthcare cash plan including dental, optical and physio
• excellent company sick pay arrangements available after 12 months service
• life cover is valued at 4 times annual salary and covers death in service
• Income Protection Insurance protects 50% of your salary due to long term illness or injury
• 25 paid holidays, in addition to bank holidays pro rata to service
• 20 free admittance tickets per year for family/friends
• staff discount from restaurants and retail shops plus a subsidised staff canteen
• free entry to affiliated zoo’s and collections
• access to West Cheshire Credit Union
• child care vouchers
• free car parking
To apply for this position, please provide your current CV and covering letter stating why you believe you should be considered for our Aquarist role to http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/careers.
Application URL : http://www.chesterzoo.careers/applynow/88f53be49b0fb6da?s=ZooNewsDigest
Closing date for applications is Friday 23rd September 2016.
Independent International Zoo Consultant