Senior Keeper, Herpetology
ZSL London Zoo
(Full-Time / Permanent)
Salary: £28,894 (Inclusive of London Weighting)
Location: ZSL Main Offices, Regents Park, Camden
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
An exciting opportunity has arisen at ZSL and we are looking to recruit a Senior Keeper for the Herpetology section at ZSL London Zoo. The role will involve the day to day husbandry of a large and diverse collection of reptiles and amphibians, focusing on animal welfare, bio-security, record keeping and ensuring that exhibits are maintained to the highest standards.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Observing the behaviour, health and security of animals and reporting any problems to the Team Leader.
• Ensuring that conditions for animals are suitable and reporting any problems, including defects or repairs required to enclosures or systems to the senior managers on section and/or relevant departments required to support the work needed.
• Preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
• Cleaning and maintaining exhibits and systems as well as adjacent working areas.
• Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times.
• Assisting with the movement, transport and training of animals, as required.
• Supporting the training and mentoring of junior staff, students and volunteers.
• Supervising volunteers and students on section, as required.
• Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors and media.
• Supporting broader ZSL lead events such as late evenings and specialist functions, as required.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate an in depth knowledge of current herpetological husbandry practices. We are looking for proven experience in the successful husbandry of both reptiles and amphibians. A logical, precise and scientific approach to animal keeping is required and the successful candidate will understand the conservation, research and educational role of ex situ animal populations.
- An understanding of the conservation, research and educational role of ex situ animal populations
- An understanding of managing large varanid lizards and crocodilians in a zoological setting desirable
- An Interest in developing research programmes with animals in the collection
Good communication skills and experience of dealing with the public is essential, together with the ability to work effectively within a team. Hours are 37.5 per week, worked within a roster which includes weekends.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this job online" button on the ZSL website. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: Midnight Sunday 25th September 2016.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
Independent International Zoo Consultant