Animal Care Assistant
We are the Cornish Seal Sanctuary, part of the Sea Life Trust, and we are looking to expand our Animal Care Team!
As an Animal Care Assistant your core responsibilities will be:
• The daily care and husbandry of resident animals including environmental enrichment and husbandry training.
• Rescue, rehabilitation and release of rescued seal pups.
• Daily maintenance of all animal facilities including the Seal Hospital, outdoor pools, enclosures and filtration systems.
• Provide consistently high standards of animal health and husbandry including excellent record keeping.
• Deliver engaging and informative talks to our guests.
Do you have the following:
• 1+ year husbandry experience with seals, sealions, otters or penguins.
• A good understanding of animal health, husbandry, animal training, enrichment and behaviour to ensure each animal receives individual care.
• Experience and skills in wildlife rehabilitation would be desirable.
• A good knowledge of the water environment and filtration, which will allow the identification and resolution of problems with the environment for the animals.
• A practical ability to participate in conservational projects and environmental impact reduction that assist in underpinning the Sanctuaries brand.
• You will be required to be on call and applicants must live within 20 minutes of the centre and hold a valid driving licence.
• With the ability to 'think on your feet' and take ownership of issues that may rise, you'll have demonstrable experience of working to a high standard in a pressurised environment within a team.
This is a full time permanent role. We offer flexible opportunities, in a totally unique environment. We know this is a great place to work.
Alongside a competitive annual salary up to £ £17,000 per annum and 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) you can look forward to enjoying a great benefits package including a Merlin Magic pass, 25% discount in our retail shops and restaurants, 40% discount online off of LEGO, and much more!
Closing date for applications is 12th August 2018.
Please apply online:
The Cornish Seal Sanctuary in Gweek is the only fully operational seal rescue centre in Cornwall. Our seal sanctuary provides a lifeline for stray, sick and injured seal pups which have been discovered around the Cornwall coast. The Sanctuary is a busy rescue centre, and also has resident Grey Seals, Common Seals, Patagonian & Californian Sea Lions, Penguins, Otters, Goats, Sheep and Ponies. Occasionally the Sanctuary's facilities and expertise are called upon to aid in the rescue of other marine creatures such as Dolphins and Turtles.
Independent International Zoo Consultant