Section leader - Senior Primate Keeper
Paradise Wildlife Park
The Zoological Society of Hertfordshire (ZSH) (registered charity no.1108609) currently has a vacancy for a senior keeper to join our expanding animal park team, running our Primate Section at Paradise Wildlife Park.
The primate section is responsible for the husbandry of many species, including multiple EEP species. The section includes; red ruffed lemur;black and white ruffed lemur; black lemur; ring-tailed lemur; cotton topped tamarin; golden headed lion tamarin; emperor tamarin; silvery marmoset; pygmy marmoset; Geoffroy’s marmoset, squirrel monkeys; white cheek gibbon;lLargGibbon, along with two toed sloth and three banded armadillo in a mixed exhibit.
The successful applicant will have an active primate keeper role and will be responsible for the day to day running of the section, husbandry and welfare, and supervision of staff. The applicant will deliver and be responsible for training staff on the delivery of interactive visitor experiences such as ‘Feed the Lemurs’ and keeper talks.
Paradise Wildlife Park has a small team of primate mammal keepers, cover keepers, interns & volunteers that the section leader will supervise, train and work alongside. The applicant must be very personable and able to communicate well with staff and visitors.
The successful applicant must have minimum five years of experience working within a zoo environment and experience working with primates is a must.
Full time; Permanent position
Reports to; Head keeper & Senior management
Hours; Summer 8am-6pm, Winter 8am – 5pm. Includes weekend and bank holiday work on a flexible rotated basis. Flexibility is necessary in this post
Part of a cohesive section leader/senior keeper team
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Carry out and enforce high standards of welfare and animal husbandry
- Ensure up-to-date knowledge of relevant best practice, and statutory regulations, including Health and Safety
- Undertake and record animal observations
- Carry out high standards of record keeping (incl. ZIMS)
- Deliver high standards of visitor interaction on the section in the form of; keeper talks, encounters and experiences
- Oversee further training of deputy section leader, keepers, interns and volunteers
- Attend and contribute to the regular Section Leader meetings
- Consistent communication with head keepers
- Liaise and assist in general duties and requirements as directed by senior management
- Other duties to support effective and efficient site maintenance may include: Fire Marshall, First Aider, Firearms team, company vehicle driver and general site maintenance to maintain high standards (nb - full training will be a given prior to the post holder being required to undertake new tasks)
- An animal science related qualification (level 5-6 e.g. DMZAA or degree)
- Minimum 5 years full-time experience in a zoological collection. Including experience with a range of species.
- Excellent communication and people management skills
- Adaptable and flexible for the demands of the rota and section’s needs
- Physically fit for the demands of this role
- Full UK driving licence
If you would like the opportunity to join our Animal Park's Section Leader Team please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not hesitate to get in touch if you require further information about this position.
Closing date for applications is: 24th Aug 2018
This opening will close once a suitable candidate has been selected so please send applications as soon as possible.
Independent International Zoo Consultant