Position Type: Full time
Start Date: Immediate start essential
Salary: We offer a salary based on age and experience.
- Pension scheme
- Staff discount card (includes staff discount in zoo shop)
- Free park entry for staff and immediate family plus complimentary tickets
- Free parking
Ventura Wildlife Park opened in August 2016 and is one of the UK’s newest zoological collections. We pride ourselves on being a small and interactive park where guests of all ages and abilities can discover a variety of species including: zebra, fossa, lemurs, red kangaroo, wallaby, Cuban hutia, red-rumped agouti, raccoon dog, ibis, spoonbill and various reptiles. We are looking for a responsible and dedicated individual to join our team as a full time Zoo Keeper.
The position involves daily care for a varied collection of species.
The successful individual will need to be engaging, confident, approachable and keen to learn new skills whilst focusing on animal welfare, record keeping and visitor engagement.
The Role Involves:
• Day to day husbandry of all animals.
• Diet preparation.
• Animal observation and record keeping.
• Public talks, animal experiences and interactive animal encounter shows.
• Stock taking, ordering and unloading (lifting).
• Animal enrichment and training.
• Assistance with veterinary care when needed.
• Maintaining high standards around the park
• Helping to maintain park grounds and enclosures at all times and undertaking gardening and basic repairs tasks.
• Strict adherence to safe working practices.
• Working effectively as an individual and as part of a small team.
We are looking for someone who has:
• Experience of working with a range of exotic animals in a zoo or similar environment.
• Excellent animal knowledge.
• High levels of flexibility in order to respond to daily challenges.
• Good written and communication skills.
• Excellent time-keeping and time management.
• Full clean UK or EU driving licence.
• Largely outdoor work in all weather conditions.
• Occasional early and late working will be required to accommodate deadlines or special events.
• Position includes working weekends, bank holidays and school holidays.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org detailing what role you have applied for and your suitability for the position. All applicants must be willing to complete a trial day at the park prior to starting.
Please note- Accommodation is not included with this position. You will be required to find your own accommodation locally.
Independent International Zoo Consultant