Full-time Position – 45hr / week
8.00am – 5.30pm
£18322 - £20000 / annum
This is a full-time position, 5 days out of 7, including weekends, bank holidays and school holidays.
Green Dragon Rare Breeds Farm & Eco Centre is an open farm and visitor attraction. We pride ourselves on sustainability and promoting a Green approach to living. We are self-sustaining and Eco with our energy production, water management, sewerage management, and our ‘farm to folk’ philosophy.
We have only been fully operational for nearly 4 years and we already have a loyal following of supporters and visitors. We are growing fast and are looking for forward thinking, motivated, creative and hardworking individuals to help us achieve our mission.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join our team at a time when our Visitor offering is developing. We have already expanded our pets corner to include exotic pets, We have now completed phase one of the new Wildlife zone which has a variety of native and European species focusing on conservation, rescue and education, this new area of the Park is 5 acres and houses reindeer, fallow deer, Native Raptors and other Bird species, Native mammals including Scottish Wildcat, Red Foxes, Red squirrel just to name a few. We will also be looking at European OR extinct Native species such European Lynx. There will be some invasive species representatives such as Bennetts Wallaby and some smaller deer species too.
We are now seeking a ‘Farm Supervisor’ who has the experience to help us to take our farm and pets corner to the next level.
Our farm Section specialises in Rare Breeds and the history behind those breeds. We farm them for conservation through managed flock books and RBST programmes and our very own ‘farm to fork’ scheme to support our onsite restaurants. All our dishes our made from our own home bred and reared meat.
We are very proud of our farm but are always looking for new ways to improve our facilities and to include our visitors in the overall experience.
We are looking for a modern day, practical, pro active Farm supervisor to help us to manage and maintain our current breeding programmes, Health plans, Preventative medicine strategies and pasture management.
The Successful candidate will be Key in motivating the team to maintain high standards, always deliver fantastic customer service and demonstrate best practice in all we set out to achieve.
This is a very specialist role as the successful candidate will have the skills of an experienced Livestock Farmer as well as the experience of working with Public and Children.
Reporting to the General Manager.
The successful application will have:
· Excellent presentation skills are essential;
· Must be outgoing, charismatic and have a confident enthusiastic personality;
· Must be organised, self-motivated with good interpersonal skills;
· Motivated individual who can work alone and as part of a team;
· Have a proven record with outstanding customer service
· Have Experience with Lambing, Farrowing and Calving.
The successful applicant will be expected to:
· ‘Lead from the Front’
· ‘Lead By Example’
· Deliver entertaining, exciting and educational public presentations;
· Assist in the organisation of farm events;
· Practically work on the livestock department;
· Have Practical DIY skills for daily, weekly and monthly repairs and maintenance.
Necessary skills required:
· Knowledge of Farm Practices and Rare Breed conservation;
· Practical Animal Handling experience with Agricultural Livestock.
· Proven record with animal training and positive reinforcement training methods.
· DMZAA or equivalent in a Agricultural discipline;
· Minimum 5 years employed practical experience within a Working Farm;
· Minimum 5 years employed within a Farm Park / Wildlife Park or Zoo
· Experience of running a small animal department and small team;
· Experience of Microsoft excel, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint;
· Experience of DEFRA licencing, APHA, EHO, & Zoo licencing standards;
· Experience of animal recording systems and standards & Movement systems
· Have Tractor training, machine training, trailer towing
· Flexible approach to work and able to work under pressure;
· Excellent written English;
· Excellent creative writing skills;
· Full driving license;
· Required but not essential is experience with Pets corner animals – this training can be provided.
We ask that the successful candidate has their own transport to and from work, be punctual and flexible with working hours and is willing to relocate.
Please mark any email correspondence FAO:
Jay Wood (General Manager) and include a CV with your covering letter.
Post open until filled.
Independent International Zoo Consultant