Veterinarian at Sydney Zoo
Sydney Zoo is a new large metropolitan Zoo currently under construction in Western Sydney with an expected opening date set for early 2019. Sydney Zoo will showcase a broad range of native and exotic animals using modern technology and advanced exhibit design with a strong focus on animal welfare, educating our visitors about animals and their habitats plus their conservation. Environmental and social awareness also plays a vital role in our messaging, focusing on indigenous culture and human influence on the environment.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of an exciting new zoo in the role of Veterinarian, utilising your skills in an area that you are genuinely passionate about. The role will commence in October/November 2018 (start date is negotiable).
During the initial construction period the Veterinarian will be working with the teams responsible for exhibit design, construction and animal acquisition, plus developing the Veterinary capacity of the Sydney Zoo as the animals arrive. You will be responsible for sourcing equipment, supplies and resources to cover the veterinary needs of the animals being housed at the Sydney Zoo. Post opening responsibilities will include all aspects of managing the veterinary services including all aspects of animal health, nutrition, animal welfare and specialist engagement as part of our greater animal care team. In parallel to that you will be working with the senior management team having the veterinary facilities registered as a veterinary hospital.
Skills, Knowledge and Relevant Experience
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a zoo or relevant/equivalent veterinary industry experience.
- Extensive experience in the health, welfare and management of zoo animals.
- Strong teamwork skills.
- Driver's licence and the ability to drive a manual vehicle (preferable).
- Demonstrated commitment to the conservation of species and ecosystems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to work independently under broad direction or positively contribute to a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a small team including setting directions, monitoring work, supervising staff, providing feedback, managing performance and assisting the Senior Team to resolve grievances if required.
- Proven ability in carrying out daily veterinary duties to a high standard ensuring all animal health, husbandry and welfare needs are met.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team to develop and implement animal diets.
- Knowledge of and commitment to Workplace Health and Safety
- First Aid Certification (desirable)
- Firearms Licence (desirable)
To apply for this position please visit the Sydney Zoo Website Careers Page and click on the advertised position. Applicants will be required to provide a current resume and a covering letter outlining your ability to meet the above selection requirements. Applications close at 5.00pm on Monday the 24th September 2018.
Please direct any requests for further information to email@example.com
Sydney Zoo is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Employment Opportunity and Cultural Diversity.
Independent International Zoo Consultant