Applications are invited for the position of
ANIMAL CARE APPRENTICE / TRAINER –DOLPHINS
The candidate will be required to perform tasks related to animal care in the Marine Mammals and Birds Department, under the supervision of senior animal care staff.
Candidates with suitable experience may be offered a higher level than Animal Care Apprentice.
The responsibilities will include:
• Carry out support duties including: diet preparation, hygiene maintenance, checklists.
• Support staff in quality animal demonstrations, photograph sessions, and shows.
• Where required, participate in any activity related to animal well-being and husbandry, such as observations and record keeping.
• Responsibilities will primarily include the Dolphin areas, but not be limited to include Seals and Birds assistance.
Requirements for the position are:
• Matric or equivalent.
• Able to work in a team environment.
• An interest in marine mammals and birds.
• Sound communication skills in English, eloquent and able to present for large audiences.
• Pass a swim test.
• Physically fit and healthy with a good attitude to physical work.
• Be a team player.
• Support and endorse the conservation objectives of SAAMBR.
The following would stand applicants in good stead:
• Proven dedication and experience in the field of animal care and training.
• Proven experience in the field of marine mammal care and training.
• Proven experience in the field of bird care and training.
• Proven experience in the field of terrestrial mammal care and training.
• Any relevant education or experience in public speaking.
Submit your Curriculum Vitae including references and letter of motivation by either:
• E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Hand Delivery: The South African Association for Marine Biological Research, 1 King Shaka Avenue, Durban
The closing date for Applications is 5 October 2014
Should you not have heard from us by 24 October 2014, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Please mention Zoo News Digest
Should you apply for this post