Hours: Approximately 40 hours per week
Wage: Dependent upon experience
Duration: Full Time, Permanent
Description: An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the management team at one of Wales’ leading tourist attractions at Folly Farm Adventure Park and Zoo, in the heart of Pembrokeshire. As Head Keeper you will be reporting to the Zoo Curator and working alongside an existing Head Keeper, to lead and inspire the Keeper team, as well as oversee the management, and care of our diverse collection of animals. Principle focus will be upon the primates, carnivores, birds and reptile sections; experience of working with big cats is also essential. The successful candidate will also be expected to provide cover & assistance across the whole department.
Principle responsibilities include:
- Taking the lead with animal welfare and husbandry to ensure the highest of standards are maintained, working to best practice at all times.
- Monitoring and ensuring compliance within the department of company policies and procedures.
- Assisting with the management, development and motivation of Keepers, identifying development needs and providing timely implementation of training programmes.
- Taking the lead to deliver and promote a first class, interactive and educational guest service in accordance with the company mission to exceed guest expectations.
- Providing firearms cover as and when required.
- Acting as an ambassador for the company reflecting the mission and quality of the organisation.
Such a role dictates a practical, pro-active, positive can-do approach and calls for excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The successful candidate will also need to demonstrate a thorough understanding & interest in modern zoo animal management, including enrichment and training.
Candidates will have a minimum of 7 years experience of working in a Zoo with previous supervisory experience desired. A full driving licence and experience of firearms is essential.
Qualifications to degree level in Zoology or a related subject is also desirable along with experience of chainsaw and a range of agricultural machinery.
Applicants must be flexible in their working hours and willing to work weekends/Bank Holidays.
Closing Date: Friday 19th September 2014
Applications via CV and Covering Letter to:
Recruitment, Folly Farm Leisure Ltd, Begelly, Kilgetty, Pembs. SA68 0XA
Please mention Zoo News Digest
Should you apply for this post