Deputy Head Animal Keeper
Bioparc Valencia currently has a vacancy for a Deputy Head Animal Keeper. The successful candidate will oversee all aspects of the animal care and husbandry, and will ensure excellent enclosure presentation.
· We are looking for someone with extensive knowledge and expertise in animal husbandry and management, with a minimum of 10 years of experience working in a zoo or safari park.
· Leadership qualities; experience of supervising a team and be able to manage and prioritize a diverse workload within a dynamic environment.
· Good understanding of risk assessments is also essential to ensure that animal keepers are fully aware of safety and management procedures and protocols.
· Good physical condition and ability to work under stress.
· Prepared to work weekends.
· Fluency in or advanced knowledge of Spanish. Competent in both oral and written English is desirable.
· Capable of working with relevant computer software (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.).
· Desirable experience of working with large ungulates, particularly elephants in hand-off, and great apes.
We are offering a very challenging job with a lot of responsibility in an open, and professional organisation.
· The salary ranges between € 22.000,00 - and € 27.000,00 (gross –“bruto”- salary) per year depending on relevant work experience.
· We prefer someone who is available from June 2015.
City / Country
Valencia / Spain
Bioparc Valencia is a medium-size zoo opened to the public on February 2008, and full EAZA member, where Madagascar, Equatorial Africa, African Wetlands, and the African Savannah are recreated. The exhibits of the Bioparc Valencia are designed as naturalistic zoo-immersion exhibits, keeping social groups with a behavior as similar as possible to the natural behavior. The animal collection focuses mainly on African mammals: different primates (lemurs, guenons, mangabeys, gorillas, chimpanzees etc), carnivores (lions, leopards, spotted hyenas, mongooses spp, otters, fossa etc), ungulates (elephants, white rhinoceros, giraffes, hippopotamus, dwarf buffalos, impalas, blesbock, gazelles, dik-diks etc) and other mammals (aardvark, hyraxes, porcupines, some rodents), and some birds (flamingos, storks, hammer cop etc), and reptiles (crocodiles, tortoises).
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please write “Selección puesto de 2º Jefe de Cuidadores” in the subject line.
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in