Curator, Animal Care
Accountable to the General Curator, the Curator is responsible for the daily management of the animals, personnel, facilities and programs of the area. The successful candidate will be required to manage areas that may include mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fishes and invertebrates.
- Oversee animal handling events, including animal shipments.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of standard operating procedures.
- Works with the Operation Manager in the planning and implementation of renovations, improvements and some projects in the section.
- Ensures compliance with standard operating procedures and protocols; and ensures the standard operating procedures and protocols are conducive to maintaining the highest possible standards of human health and safety and animal welfare in line with known best practice.
- Interview and train employees: plan, assign and direct work: appraise performance: manage employees; address complaints and resolve problems; ensuring compliance with union contract.
- Engages with keeper staff on section, initiates area meetings, and directs works to improve efficiencies.
- Works with other departments and the General Curator to help develop, plan and implement educational programs, publicity, graphics and other support services for the section.
- Initiates necessary requests for maintenance and horticultural work within the section.
- Works closely with the veterinary team on animal health checks, preventive medicine program and other veterinary needs of the animal collection.
- Acts as manager in all animal areas when other curators are away.
- Works with Animal Management team to ensure animal exhibits and enclosures meet or exceed minimum AZA and CAZA accreditation standards.
- Ensures accurate, current records are kept on each animal and exhibit.
- May coordinate tours, special events and other programs that may impact the animal collection.
- Manages budget in consultation with General Curator and Operations Manager.
- Participates in collection planning and acts as an institutional representative of the Calgary Zoo for the AZA and CAZA.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Zoology, Ecology or related field.
- 7+ years of animal management experience preferably in an accredited institution.
- 5+ years of experience in a supervisory role
- Experience managing a unionized workforce would be considered an asset.
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of management, employees, park guests and other stakeholders.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Leadership skills with the ability to motivate and empower team members.
- Exceptional observational and attention to detail skills.
- Intermediate computer skills in MS Office.
- The position requires inclusion on the zoo’s emergency response team (possess or eligible to possess firearm PAL document).
- Possess or able to acquire a Class 5 Alberta driver’s license.
Physical Demands and conditions required:
- Involves outdoor work and heavy lifting.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs and ladders, and carry up to 50lbs.
- Exposure to fauna and pungent odours.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather.
- Working on weekends and statutory holidays will be required.
What the zoo has to offer:
- Competitive compensation package.
- Annual performance bonus.
- Flexible benefits plan, including a health spending account.
- Employer matching RRSP program.
- Competitive vacation and flex days entitlement.
- Discounts on food, beverage and merchandise.
- A complimentary annual pass for you and your immediate family members.
- A fun work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals!
If you are a highly motivated and experienced individual we invite you to send your resume, along with a cover letter, in confidence, no later than September 11, 2015. Please quote the position title in the subject line.
1300 Zoo Rd NE
1300 Zoo Rd NE
PLEASE, NO PHONE INQUIRIES. Applicants are thanked in advance and advised that only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in