Senior keeper (aquarist)
Full Time Permanent (38.75 hrs per week inc. some weekends and bank holidays)
Coastal Zoo and Aquarium – Living Coasts is looking for an experienced aquarist to work in a senior keeper (aquarist) role. This is a key role within the Animal Department primarily working in the aquarium but you will also cover other sections when required.
Living Coasts is home to seals, otters, penguins, a wide number of sea birds and wading species the aquarium includes local coastal species, rays, archer fish, four eyed fish, octopus and more.
The ideal candidate will be educated to a degree level in a related field, have completed the Diploma in the Management of Zoo and Aquarium Animals (DMZAA) or a minimum of four years’ experience in a similar role. With a passion and enthusiasm for fish keeping and aquarium systems, and working knowledge of sea water and brackish systems. With excellent communication and organisational skills, as well as the drive to continually develop the aquarium and animal exhibits at Living Coasts. Experience working with other taxa such as reptiles and birds (particularly penguins) would be an advantage – as you will work on all other sections when required. We are looking for a proactive person with excellent knowledge of animal welfare and animal handling alongside good observation skills and accurate record keeping.
The department runs on rota with one weekend off in three, and we would be looking for a self-disciplined team player with a positive attitude to join the team.
Role and Responsibilities
• Working with the senior keeper team - continual maintenance and development of exhibits and displays
• To deputise for the head keeper when required across all animal sections.
• Attend to all husbandry requirements and maintenance of life support systems.
• To work to protocols and procedures
• To maintain excellent water quality and enclosure cleanliness
• To keep accurate records for exhibit specimens and systems
• To participate in regular presentations to visitors including experiences
• Provide a high level of customer service
The closing date for applications is the 4th October interviews on the 12th October 2015
Full job description download HERE
Applicants will only hear if they have been selected for interview
Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please apply with an application form and covering letter
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in