Trainee Animal Keeper - Birds
ZSL London Zoo
Position: Trainee Animal Keeper - Birds (Full-time / Permanent)
Salary: £20,546 p.a. (Inclusive of London Weighting and Weekend Enhancement)
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats.
This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
Overview of Role:
ZSL is seeking a Trainee Keeper to work on our Birds section at London Zoo. The successful candidate will be expected to ensure high standards of animal welfare, animal husbandry and keep daily checks and records of animals within the birds section.
Working hours are 37.5 per week, worked within a roster which includes regular weekends so flexibility regarding hours is crucial.
Applicants must have a passion for working with a variety of animals within a Zoo environment however experience with birds would be desirable. Good communication skills and experience of dealing with the public is essential, together with the ability to work effectively within a team.
• Assisting as instructed with the cleaning of designated areas.
• Assisting as instructed with cage/paddock servicing.
• Assisting under instruction with the preparation of approved diets.
• Assisting under instruction/supervision the carrying out of correct feeding procedures where this is deemed appropriate by the Team Leader.
• Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times.
• Assisting where appropriate with the movement and/or training of animals, “Meet the Animals” etc. as directed by senior staff.
• Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors.
• Reporting defects and repairs required to the Team Leader or more senior staff.
• Assisting in various projects related to animal management as directed by senior animal management staff.
• Practical experience of animal management with a range of exotic species.
• Broad taxonomic knowledge on a range of species managed within zoological collections.
• Willingness to work on and learn about evolving husbandry management within zoological collections to include positive re-enforcement training for behavioural management and varied methods of enrichment for a range of species.
• Knowledge of techniques used to handle specific animals should catch ups or veterinary procedures require this.
• Be able to demonstrate initiative and a pro-active approach to completing tasks beneficial to the section/department without always waiting to be asked.
Please note: Candidates must demonstrate a keen interest in animal management as you will also be expected to undertake the appropriate studies to progress within the Keeper training programme DMZAA enrolment.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking "Apply for this job online"
Closing Date: Midnight Sunday 4th October 2015
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in