Animal Encounters Officer Resource Technician
Job title: Animal Encounters Officer / Resource Technician
Salary: £16,810 to £18,351 + £ 1,773 London Weighting
Start Date: ASAP
Capel Manor College is London’s only Specialist College for land-based studies and an internationally renowned learning resource for all those interested in Horticulture, Animal Management, Saddlery, Arboriculture, Floristry, Garden Design, Countryside and the Environment. Our aim is to ensure our staff enjoy coming to work, not only because they can make a difference to the communities the college serve, but because the College provides them with a great place to work.
The College are currently looking for an Animal Encounters Officer / Resource Technician who will provide day-to-day care for a wide range of animals kept by the College and supporting and resourcing the teaching of animal care including maintaining practical facilities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- The day-to-day routine care of the College’s animal stock in accordance with the animal welfare policy to include cleaning out of accommodation, provision of feed, water, bedding, nesting material, and daily health checks
- Supervising college student volunteers carrying out practical duties in animal areas at weekends
- Co-ordinating and supervising animal interactive sessions for the public at weekends
- Assisting academic staff within the School, supervising students and providing technical assistance and advice as required
- Completing records relating to routine animal care, reporting any abnormalities or problems to Line Manager as appropriate
- Ordering feed, bedding and other consumables for all centres as required in consultation with Line Manager. Storage, security and stock control of such consumables
- Ensuring high standards of hygiene and cleanliness in all animal areas and associated storage and service areas
- Ensuring the correct disposal of all waste from the animal areas
- The exercising, training and handling of animal stock as appropriate and as required
- Responsible for ensuring that the health and safety of students is maintained whilst undertaking practical sessions
- Liaising with external bodies e.g. vet, RSPCA, Defra etc. as appropriate
- Liaising internally with other staff as appropriate with regard to animal activities and co-operating to maintain continuity of care during weekends and holidays
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Level 2 qualification or higher in an animal care discipline
- Experience of caring for a range of rodents, exotic animals, birds and farm-stock on a day-to-day basis
- Experience of working with the public, demonstrating good principles of “Customer Care”
- Knowledge of correct hygiene and cleaning procedures for Animal Unit and associated areas
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues with regard to own duties and the Animal Unit
What’s in it for you?
Capel Manor offers a unique working environment with a range of benefits including:
- Access to the Teachers’ Pension Scheme or LGPS (depending on job role)
- Employee assistance programme
- Superb staff development opportunities
The post is permanent, full time and will require working weekends and 3 week days. The week days are likely to be Monday- Wednesday, although flexibility to accommodate changing demands and circumstances would be desirable.
The postholder will be required to be available “on-call” over specified periods by arrangement with the Line Manager to ensure that the welfare of the college’s animal stock is not compromised. Time off In Lieu/payment will be agreed as appropriate.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and barring list check as it is within regulated activity due to the college being defined as a ‘specified place’. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on ‘Apply’ and complete an online application form.
Closing date is 2nd May 2016