ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
Contract: Full-Time / Permanent
Salary: £48,411 p.a. (inclusive of Weekend Enhancement)
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
Overview of Role:
To provide consistent management of the animal collections and the team that manage them and to ensure the smooth operational function of Whipsnade Zoo. To oversee the Whipsnade Zoo Collection plan.
Other main duties will include:
• To have budgetary responsibility for the staffing and operational needs of the Living Collections at Whipsnade Zoo
• To manage the Team Leaders of the animal collections, conduct their PDRs and ensure they are effectively managing their teams
• To oversee the Whipsnade Zoo Collection plan to ensure a comprehensive collection which meets the priorities for Whipsnade Zoo. This will be done in close collaboration with taxonomic curators
• Responsible for ensuring that the daily presentation of the zoo is up to an excellent standard
• Helping the Living Collections teams prioritise daily engagements and ensuring that appropriate trained staffs are available to cover events such as sunset safari, fundraising events etc.
• Be the first point of conduct for cross-departmental functions, including Business Development, Marketing, PR, HR, Fundraising, Commercial (including the Main Gate) and Discovery & Learning
• Be the main Animal Duty Manager for the site and responsible for staff training, daily ADM cover. Also responsible for animal emergency procedures and ensure that there is an appropriate level of drills
• To act as the Firearms Manager for ZSL London Zoo, managing selection, training, licences etc.
• BSc in a relevant area or equivalent experience
• Prior experience in managing and developing large teams
• In depth knowledge of up to date animal husbandry practices in a zoological collection environment
• An understanding of Zoological licences would be desirable
• Ability to prioritise and very well organised
• Great communicator
• Able to challenge ideas respectably
• Demonstrates a consistent, collaborative and respectful approach to management and building relationships with other teams
• Respects confidentiality
• Strong problem solving skills and able to help others to resolve them
• Stays calm in difficult situations
• Able to stay focused on tasks in hand
• Ability to listen and have empathy and understanding
Please visit our website, www.zsl.org, for a full job descriptions and details on how to apply.
Closing date for applications: Midnight Sunday 8th May 2016.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.