SEASONAL HOST & PRESENTER – PART TIME
We are looking to recruit a seasonal zoo host and presenter to join our team, on a fixed term (June – October) part-time contract (2/3 days), delivering a high standard of visitor engagement. More hours may be available.
The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and passionate about wildlife, with the skills required to communicate this to our visitors.
The main components of this role are to deliver our hugely popular animal experiences programme as well as carrying out our daily talk and feed schedule as instructed.
You will need to deliver a high-quality service including ensuring that everything is in place before experiences start, meeting and greeting the participant when they arrive and answering any questions that they may have. You must have excellent communication skills and have the ability to deal with any problems that may arise and know where to direct these.
You must be able to demonstrate knowledge of modern zoo practices relating to husbandry, nutrition, enrichment and veterinary care as well as understanding the importance of research and conservation activities.
The successful candidate should have previous experience working with animals, or in a similar role in a zoological collection (preferable but not crucial) and preferably hold a relevant qualification in animal management.
The position includes a large amount of educational work, providing tours to school groups and assisting with outreach activities.
HOURS OF WORK
This is a fixed term, part time contract, on a flexi rota system which includes working regular weekends and bank holidays and working sometimes early or late to meet business needs.
The hours of work for this position are 9.30am – 3.30pm (6hrs).
• Preferable Relevant qualification.
• Previous experience working within a zoological collection.
• Motivated and enthusiastic individual who can work alone and as part of a team.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Good organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent hygiene standards.
• Ability to work as a member of a team and go that extra mile.
• Computer literate
• Wide knowledge of biology, ecology and captive requirements of taxa relevant to the collection
• Flexible approach to work and ability to work under pressure
• Full clean driving license is preferable but not essential.
• Good understanding of health and safety within the work place are also essential.
Due to internal health and safety restrictions we will not be accepting applications from anyone under 18 years of age.
This position will pay at the rate of the national minimum wage.
Please register your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form.
11th May – Successful applicants will be invited for an interview between the 11th & 25th May.
Independent International Zoo Consultant