Trainee Keeper Job Description:
Based at Sandwich Wildlife Park
We are looking for an ambitious individual to join our animal care team. If you want to be part of one of the UK's fastest growing zoos and are excited about the prospect of being part of something new, this position might be for you!
Wingham Wildlife Park is a family run wildlife park with big emphasis on animal husbandry, conservation, education and safety for our animals, staff and visitors. We are looking for a like minded “team player” who would fit in amongst our team working at our second site Sandwich Wildlife Park (SWP). This park is currently not open to the public, but will be host to animal experiences, private guided tours and open days. This position will cover the entire collection of animals held at SWP plus a small amount of general maintenance and gardening duties.
The Candidate Will:
- Be able to communicate on a one-to-one basis as well as leading groups of tours.
- Have experience working with exotic species in a zoo setting (experience with category 1 animals is desirable).
- Be able to work as part of a team and on their own.
- Have exceptional time keeping skills.
- Show good practical animal husbandry skills.
- Have relevant animal husbandry qualifications.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of positive reinforcement training.
- Be self motivated
- Have a valid UK driving licence and own transportation (as there will be some travel between parks to collect supplies).
The Role Involves:
- Day to day husbandry of animals in our park.
- Good observational and note keeping skills when working with the animals at our park.
- Giving talks to visitors about some of the species in the parks.
- Conducting experiences and private tours with visitors.
- Strict adherence to safe working practices.
- Maintaining high standards around the park including small maintenance tasks and gardening.
About Employment with WWP:
This full time position (winter; 40 hours per week, summer; 45 hours per week) requires people to be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions, including working on weekends, during school holidays and on bank holidays.
We give statutory holiday entitlement.
This position will pay at the rate of the national minimum wage. On the successful completion of a 6 month probationary period a wage increase will occur.
All applications to be addressed for the attention of Ruth Wilder to email@example.com along with a covering letter and CV, there is no need to fill in an application form. For applications to this particular job please use reference SWP01 in the email title. Any applications through other channels will be disregarded.
Closing date for applications:- 1st May 2018 however we will conduct interviews before this date if applications are suitable. You will be contact via email if your application has been successful to arrange interviews.
Independent International Zoo Consultant