Trainee Mammals Keeper
Trainee Mammals Keeper
We are looking for an ambitious individual to join our animal care team. If you want to be part of one of the UK's fastest growing zoos and are excited about the prospect of being part of something new, this position might be for you!
Wingham Wildlife Park is a family run wildlife park with big emphasis on animal husbandry, conservation, education and safety for our animals, staff and visitors. We are looking for a like minded “team player” who would fit in amongst our mammals section. This section covers a large variety of species ranging from Red Pandas, Lowland Tapirs, Rodents, Fruitbats, Hoofstock and Small Mammals.
The Candidate Will:
- Be able to communicate on a one-to-one basis as well as leading public talks to large crowds.
- Have experience working with exotic species, preferably in a zoo setting.
- Be able to work as part of a team and on their own.
- Have exceptional time keeping skills.
- Show good practical animal husbandry skills.
- Have relevant animal husbandry qualifications.
- Have a valid UK driving licence or have good access to transport links.
The Role Involves:
- Day to day husbandry of animals in our park.
- Good observational and note keeping skills when working with the animals at the park.
- Giving talks to visitors about some of the species in the park.
- Strict adherence to safe working practices.
- Maintaining high standards around the park including emptying bins, weeding and window cleaning.
About Employment with WWP:
This full time position (winter; 40 hours per week, summer; 45 hours per week) requires people to be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions, including working on weekends, during school holidays and on bank holidays.
Keepers work on a rota based system working 5 out of 7 days per week.
We give statutory holiday entitlement.
This position will pay at the rate of the national minimum wage. On the successful completion of a 6 month probationary period a wage increase will occur.
All applications to be addressed for the attention of Ruth Wilder to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a covering letter and CV, there is no need to fill in an application form. For applications to this particular job please use reference MAMMALS2018 in the email title. Any applications through other channels will be disregarded.
Closing date for applications:- 1st May 2018 however we will conduct interviews before this date if applications are suitable. You will be contact via email if your application has been successful to arrange interviews.
Independent International Zoo Consultant