Head of Animal Welfare and Development - Europe
We are Merlin Magic Making and we are part of the magical Merlin Entertainments!
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Merlin Animal Welfare and Development (MAWD) department, a division of Merlin Magic Making. MAWD is a central hub of expertise that leads SEA LIFE by driving and supporting Project Development, Animal Sourcing, High Standards, Expertise and Specialised Training.
We are currently recruiting for a Head of Europe for Animal Welfare and Development based at our offices in Weymouth. In this role you will work on the development and coordination of the essential expertise to maintain and develop world class, engaging and impactful aquarium displays and programmes.
You will maintain and improve existing displays as well as creating compelling new propositions, always ensuring project processes are realistic and completed on time and budget. You’ll also act as a facilitator, identifying and communicating specialist knowledge to support the operational and development of the region and global SEA LIFE network.
Working with the head of training and site staff to support and advise on specialist training to build local and regional technical skills. Ensuring the promotion and facilitation of production papers and presentations, develop staff and brand credibility and succession planning.
You will also work with key stakeholders to ensure the regions animal care protocols and programmes, new design specifications, meet or exceed the regional and Merlin standards, including care for life policies. Always leading the development of excellent working relationships with local, national and international organisations, representative groups and zoo & aquarium colleagues.
We are looking for the following skills and experience;
- Ideally a BSc in Marine Science
- Knowledge and experience in water chemistry saltwater and freshwater aquarium systems
- LSS – Design, component function and operation
- The understanding of fish health process
- Understanding of transport techniques for live fish of all sizes
- A creative designer of exhibits, including materials, lighting and sources of such for theming and construction
- Extensive industry experience, including experience as a Curator and Team Leader
- Experience working on projects large and small
- You’ll be solutions focused, a quick thinker and a real driver of change
- You’ll be a forward thinker with the ability to multi task and maintain a clear head when under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills at all levels
- Highly organised with excellent attention to detail
To learn more or to apply please click HERE
Independent International Zoo Consultant