Qualified Animal Keeper - Elephants
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
Overview of Role:
An opening has arisen for a Qualified Animal Keeper on our Elephant section at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. With ZSL Whipsnade Zoo’s new Centre for Elephant Care opened in April 2017, holding 8 Asian Elephants across over 20 acres of their facility it is an exciting time to be a part of this dynamic team. The Elephant section at Whipsnade Zoo is constantly evolving ensuring the highest standards of welfare and research is being carried out. Ideally this person will have experience of working directly with Elephants in a positive reinforcement management system or experience with mammal species in a zoological collection. This position will also assist the Team Leader, Deputy Team Leader and other Senior Keepers in all aspects of their work but primarily the care of the animals, ensuring high standards of animal welfare, animal husbandry and keep daily checks and records of animals within the section.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Observing the behaviour, health and security of animals and reporting any problems to the team leader or senior staff.
- Ensuring that conditions for animals are of the highest standards and reporting any problems, including defects or repairs required to enclosures, to the senior staff on section and relevant departments required.
- Assisting with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
- Cleaning and maintaining exhibits and other designated areas.
- Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times.
- Assisting with the movement and training of animals using positive re-enforcement.
- Supporting in the training and mentoring of less experienced staff.
- Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors and media.
- Supporting broader ZSL lead events such as late evenings and specialist functions.
The successful candidate will:
- A good level of skill and knowledge together with a proven work record ideally with Elephants, or large ungulates and hoof-stock.
- Have strong attention to detail and the ability to clearly convey instruction.
- Have an understanding of mammal breeding and good familiarity with external zoo associations such as BIAZA and EAZA.
- Able to use Microsoft software including Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Have a qualification in a relevant field at university level and/or diploma in the DZMAA Keeper’s course or equivalent work experience.
- Be reliable and have good time-keeping and attendance record and able to demonstrate leadership and professionalism.
- A full driving license is also required.
Please note: This is a full-time, permanent position based at Whipsnade Zoo. Flexible working is required for this position which will include working 2 in 3 weekends, bank holidays and providing assistance out of hours if required.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this jobonline" button.
If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Friday 15th June 2018
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
Independent International Zoo Consultant