Senior Zookeeper B29 (Penguins)
Lead, oversee and participate in the more complex and difficult work of staff responsible for the maintenance and care of a variety of animals within the Albuquerque BioPark Zoo; assist veterinary staff as needed and perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned areas of responsibility.
Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements
Related education and experience may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
High school diploma or GED, supplemented by thirty (30) credit hours of college level course work in zoology, biology, animal science or related field, plus three (3) years of experience in any combination of the following areas: exotic animal husbandry, zookeeping or arthropod rearing. Experience working in an Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) accredited facility preferred.
Possession of a valid Driver's License or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator's Permit (COP) within six (6) months from date of hire.
- Operations and activities of a zoo services and animal-care program
- Principles of lead supervision and training
- Advanced methods and techniques of handling assigned animals
- Principles and practices of animal behavior and physiology
- Principles and practices of animal training
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices
- Operational characteristics of animal-handling and food-preparation equipment
- Principles and procedures of record keeping
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Lead, organize and review the work of staff in the area of work assigned
- Independently perform difficult animal care and handling duties
- Interpret and explain department policies and procedures
- Operate a variety of animal handling and food preparation equipment in a safe and effective manner
- Work with and train a variety of domestic and wild animals
- Clean and maintain assigned animal enclosures according to established guidelines
- Ensure the preparation of adequate animal diets
- Work independently in the absence of immediate supervision
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
To learn more and apply please click HERE
Independent International Zoo Consultant