Job Title: Herpetology Keeper
Department: Herpetology Department
Reporting to: Head of Herpetology Department
Full time / Part-time: Full Time (42.5 Hours per week, weekends may be included)
Permanent / Contract: Permanent
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to promote the Trust's work in the captive husbandry and breeding of amphibians and reptiles by working on the daily management of the animal collection and to ultimately play a crucial role in fulfilling Durrell’s mission of saving species from extinction.
· The role will include the daily husbandry of a diverse reptile and amphibian collection and associated invertebrate food colonies in conjunction with the other section staff;
· To deliver regular public engagement activities, including keeper talks as required, about the animals on site to provide accurate, current and in-depth information relating to the breadth of conservation work of the Trust;
· Detailed record keeping;
· Training of visiting students;
· Behind the scenes tours and participation in wider zoo activities as required.
· It is desired that applicants have a BSc (Hons) Zoology or related qualification and proven experience in the successful husbandry of a variety of reptile and amphibian species (in other zoos, museums, universities, private collections, etc.);
· Wide knowledge of biology and ecology of the taxa for which post is responsible and able to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of current herpetological husbandry practices;
· A logical, precise and very consistent approach to animal keeping is required as is competency with standard computer software;
· Good written and verbal communication skills and considerable interpersonal skills are essential as the position involves interaction not just with colleagues but also students, visitors and on occasion the media;
· The successful applicant will be a strong team player able to maintain a high work rate, high levels of cleanliness and an organised work environment where good time-keeping skills are essential.
How to apply
To apply for this position please send your completed application form and CV with cover letter to email@example.com, clearly indicating for which position you wish to apply for.
Closing date for applications: Friday 15th June 2018
Independent International Zoo Consultant