Director, Animal Care, Conservation and Research
The Calgary Zoological Society is committed to excellence in animal stewardship and conservation leadership. Our staff and volunteers are what make us a success in these activities and keep us focused on our commitment to engage visitors in enjoyable and unique experiences, connect our community with nature, and inspire actions which support conservation. If you would like to be part of this team, we have the following permanent full time position available in our Animal Care, Conservation and Research department:
Reporting to the President/CEO, the Director, Animal Care, Conservation and Research is accountable for leading and providing overall strategic direction for the Animal Care, Conservation and Research Branch of the Calgary Zoo in a manner consistent with the Calgary Zoological Society’s mission, vision and values.
• Develops and implements a long term strategy and business plan for the Branch aligned with the Calgary Zoo’s long term strategic plan and responsive to changes in the external environment
• Ensures the Calgary Zoo is committed to animal health and welfare and best animal management practices
• Ensures that The Calgary Zoo live collection management practices and research activities reflect the highest professional code of practice recognized and endorsed by the zoological associations and the Canadian Council of Animal Care.
• Plays vital role in expanding conservation and research efforts.
• Develops, interprets and presents accurate and timely management information reporting to all levels of The Calgary Zoo, local, provincial and federal government as well as other key stakeholders such as donors and members of the Calgary Zoological Society and ensures that the reporting complies with accepted reporting principles and industry standards
• Monitors branch performance against pre-established criteria and indicators
• Identifies opportunities and develops new programs and services consistent with The Calgary Zoo’s long term strategic plan
• Facilitates the professional development of direct reports through training and challenging assignments
• Manages and evaluates the performance of direct reports
• Utilizes the diverse skills of direct reports to maximum benefit and fosters an environment of open communication and teamwork
• Understands and is able to work within a unionized environment.
• Builds a positive and productive working relationship with The Calgary Zoo’s operating partner, The City of Calgary
• Leads The Calgary Zoo in developing partnerships with other organizations with similar goals and values
• Ensures compliance with health, safety and environmental legislation and regulation as well as Calgary Zoo policies and procedures
• Oversees the development and management of the branch operational budget
• Undergraduate degree in Biological Sciences or related field (Zoology, Wildlife Management) is required. Graduate degree in management, business administration or equivalent would be considered a definite asset.
• Minimum 10 years relevant management experience, including planning, budgeting and human resource management/supervision.
• A broad range of experience in the zoo profession with a solid base of knowledge in animal care, research and conservation principles and practices is essential.
• Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Proven leader.
• Able to work as a change agent.
• Some travel will be required.
• Active mobility as high proportion of walking required on site
The Calgary Zoo offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. If you are a highly motivated and experienced individual we invite you to send your resume, along with a covering letter, in confidence, no later than April 30, 2010. Please quote the position title in the subject line.
Human Resources PLEASE, NO PHONE INQUIRIES.
The Calgary Zoological Society Applicants are thanked in
1300 Zoo Road NE advance and advised that only
Calgary, Alberta individuals selected for
T2E 7V6 interviews will be contacted.
Fax: (403) 695-3807