ASSISTANT HEAD KEEPER
Manor House Wildlife Park are looking to recruit an experienced animal keeper to assist the current Head keeper and supervise in their absence. The successful applicant will be expected to lead a small team of staff and oversee the day to day management of the diverse animal collection, ensuring the highest standards of animal care and welfare at all times. Taxa include primates, Small and large Hoofstock (including rhino), small mammals, marsupials and some birds and reptiles.
With some new and exciting developments planned over the next few years the Assistant Head keeper will be expected to be involved in all aspects of these projects including enclosure design, collection planning, health and safety, working protocols and day to day operations. This is a supervisory role and there will be office time and administrative work required.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Ensure the highest standards of animal husbandry and welfare at all times including implementing training and enrichment programmes, monitoring health, researching nutritional needs and excellent enclosure presentation.
• Liaise with the veterinary team as and when needed and administer medication when appropriate in the absence of an on-site vet.
• Supervise staff in the absence of the Head keeper which will include managing rotas and holidays, training new and existing staff to the required standards, organising working protocols and procedures and providing feedback on performance.
• Assist in the management and implementation of all aspects of Health and Safety including working protocols, risk assessments and manual handling.
• Assist in providing Firearms cover as and when needed.
• Manage animal records, produce reports and put forward proposals.
• Ensure the highest of standards of visitor experience through exceptional customer services and care.
The successful candidate will need to have worked in a Zoo environment for at least 7 years, have the Diploma in the Management of Zoo animals and Aquaria (DMZAA) or an equivalent qualification and have some previous experience supervising staff.
With the completion of a new big cat facility in the near future experience working with big cats is essential to this position. The candidate must be able to demonstrate excellent safe working practices with big cats and have knowledge of all aspects of their care and husbandry. Experience with the Taxa listed above would also be beneficial and in particular with Rhino.
A full driving licence is essential and candidates should also be in the possession of a Firearms licence or at least in a position to apply for one.
The successful applicant will be computer literate with an excellent understanding of MS word and working knowledge of ZIMS would be desirable.
Working hours vary dependant on time of year with longer shifts during the summer period and shorter days throughout winter. Staff are salaried so monthly wages are not affected by varying hours.
Salary will be dependent on experience and will include other company benefits.
To apply send or email an up to date CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability to this position to:
Manor House Wildlife Park
Closing date for this position is Monday the 30th of March 2015
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in