Resource Technician/Practical Instructor (Animal Care)
Salary is from £10,902 to £13,731.60 plus £1,053 LW.
The vacancy is for 3 days per week - Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
Our client is looking to recruit a Resource Technician/Practical Instructor (Animal Care) – to be based at Gunnersbury Park.
The post holder will be responsible for providing day-to-day care for a wide range of animals kept by the College and supporting and resourcing the teaching of animal care including maintaining practical facilities. If required, provision of demonstration and technical instruction to students in a wide range of subjects relating to animal care.
About the College
Capel Manor College in Greater London, is a vocational college delivering courses in Arboriculture and Countryside, Animal Care and Saddlery, Floristry and Balloon Artistry, Garden Design and Horticulture.
· The day-to-day routine care of the College’s animal stock to include cleaning out of accommodation, provision of feed, water, bedding, nesting material, and daily health checks.
· Supervising and allocating tasks for college students carrying out practical duties in animal areas.
· Assisting academic staff within the School with the supervision of students and providing technical assistance and advice as required.
· Completing records relating to routine animal care, reporting any abnormalities or problems to Supervisor/Line Manager as appropriate.
· Ordering feed, bedding and other consumables as required in consultation with Line Manager. Storage, security and stock control of such consumables.
· The exercising, training and handling of animal stock as appropriate and as required.
· Providing demonstrations and technical instruction to students undertaking practical animal care and associated tuition.
For a comprehensive list of duties, please refer to the College Job Description.
· Experience of caring for a range of animals on a day-to-day basis.
· Level 3 qualification or higher in an animal care discipline e.g. City & Guilds or BTEC Diploma / Extended Diploma. Willingness to work towards a DTTLS Teaching qualification.
· Knowledge of correct hygiene and cleaning procedures for Animal Unit and associated areas.
· Awareness of Health and Safety issues with regard to own duties and the Animal Unit.
· To keep accurate records (manual or computerised)
· Strong commitment to the care and welfare of the College’s animals.
· To follow rotas and working routines carefully and conscientiously.
· An understanding of safeguarding and a commitment to creating a safe learning environment
Start date: ASAP
Closing date: Closing date is 7.4.15.
These posts are subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and barring list check as it is within regulated activity due to Capel Manor College being defined as a ‘specified place’.
Capel Manor College aims to employ a workforce which reflects the community it serves. Therefore applications from minority groups are welcomed. The College is a Two Ticks Employer (Positive About Disabled People) and therefore where applicants indicate they have a disability and meet the essential criteria in the person specification, they will be short-listed for interview.
Capel Manor College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
It is anticipated that candidates who progress from the application stage will be asked to attend the College for an interview within three weeks of the closing date. Therefore, if you do not hear from the College within that time you may assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
If you are interested in this vacancy, please send an e-mail to Capel@r21education.co.uk. You will then be sent the full Job Description, Person Specification and College application form, to be completed and returned before the advertised close date. Please note that the College will not accept CV's in place of completed applications.
Please don't forget to mention you saw this advert in