ASSISTANT TEAM MANAGER
Permanent – 35 hours per week
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.7 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We are seeking to recruit an Assistant Team Manager (Education Officers) on a permanent basis within our award winning Discovery & Learning Division.
• To oversee the work of the Education Officers
• To co-ordinate the development and delivery of school learning activities such as taught sessions, HE/FE teaching, and teacher CPD
• To co-ordinate the development of online learning resources for schools/teachers and small projects with schools such as Summer School under the direction of the Learning Manager
• To be the main point of contact for all aspects of the zoo’s school-focused learning programmes, developing internal and external partnerships to support our work
• To line manage Learning Assistants, collaborating closely with the Assistant Team Manager (Zoo Rangers) where they are working on informal learning activities
The successful candidate will have:
• A sound knowledge of conservation, ecology and biology demonstrated by a degree in a Zoo Biology or a conservation-related field
• Experience of teaching pupils of different ages and abilities (including SEND) within a zoo or similar conservation based setting
• Practical knowledge of the formal learning sector
• Experience of supervising a team and managing the work of others
• A creative and dynamic approach to developing and delivering conservation education, including digital resources
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including proof reading
A good knowledge of zoological collections and conservation work is highly desirable, as is a full driving licence valid in the UK. Experience of using different IT packages in teaching situations would be advantageous.
Salary and Benefits:
Hours of work are 35 hours per week worked Monday – Friday, with occasional evening, weekend or Bank Holiday working. The salary for the role is £21,015 per annum. In addition we offer a range of amazing benefits including:
• a fantastic working environment working with colleagues passionate about the zoo
• a Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with high contribution levels paid by the employer
• healthcare cash plan including dental, optical and physio
• excellent company sick pay arrangements available after 12 months service
• life cover is valued at 4 times annual salary and covers death in service
• Income Protection Insurance protects 50% of your salary due to long term illness or injury
• staff pass which provides unlimited free access into the zoo
• 25 paid holidays and additional bank holidays pro rata to service
• 20 free admittance tickets per year for family/friends which equates to £480
• staff discount from restaurants and retail shops plus a subsidised staff canteen
• access to West Cheshire Credit Union
• child care vouchers
• salary sacrifice cycle scheme
• free car parking
To apply for this position, please provide your current CV and covering letter stating why you believe you should be considered for our Assistant Team Manager (Education Officers) role by clicking on http://www.chesterzoo.org/careers.
Application URL : http://www.chesterzoo.careers/applynow/aa76c0e660666724?s=ZooNewsDigest
Closing date for applications is 27th July 2016
Independent International Zoo Consultant