COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
Permanent – Full Time
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.7 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We are seeking to recruit a Community Engagement Manager on a permanent basis within our award winning Discovery & Learning Division. The role will manage a programme of projects and activities to engage communities in the UK and around the world, raising awareness of conservation issues, supporting environmental action and leading behaviour change initiatives. They will oversee our UK outreach work, including the management of our Safari Rangers and project staff engaged in outreach activities, and provide important education focused input to our field programmes internationally.
The successful candidate will have:
• Substantial experience developing and managing community based learning programmes and projects, preferably within a zoo, aquarium or other environmental education or conservation focused organisation
• Experience of working collaboratively with a wide range of community partners and diverse stakeholder groups
• Relevant experience of leading training, delivering workshops and creating learning resources
• Experience of using learning programmes to bring about social change, ideally encouraging sustainable behaviours
• Experience managing and leading projects
• A positive attitude with the ability to enthuse and engage others
• Experience of supervising others
A working knowledge of conservation and the key issues threatening the natural world today is highly desirable. Experience of working internationally would also be advantageous.
Salary and Benefits:
Hours of work are 40 hours per week worked Monday – Friday, with regular evening and weekend working for which time off in lieu is given. The salary for the role is £30,227.53 per annum. In addition we offer a range of amazing benefits including:
• a fantastic working environment working with colleagues passionate about the zoo
• a Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with high contribution levels paid by the employer
• healthcare cash plan including dental, optical and physio
• excellent company sick pay arrangements available after 12 months service
• life cover is valued at 4 times annual salary and covers death in service
• Income Protection Insurance protects 50% of your salary due to long term illness or injury
• staff pass which provides unlimited free access into the zoo
• 25 paid holidays and additional bank holidays pro rata to service
• 20 free admittance tickets per year for family/friends which equates to £480
• staff discount from restaurants and retail shops plus a subsidised staff canteen
• access to West Cheshire Credit Union
• child care vouchers
• salary sacrifice cycle scheme
• free car parking
To apply for this position, please provide your current CV and covering letter stating why you believe you should be considered for our Community Engagement Manager role by clicking on http://www.chesterzoo.org/careers.
Closing date for applications is 31st July 2016
Interviews will be held week commencing 22nd August 2016
Independent International Zoo Consultant