Auckland Zoo is recognised as one of the most progressive zoos in the world. A winner of national and international environmental-related awards, it is home to 108 different species and over 560 animals.
The Primate team at Auckland Zoo is dynamic and challenging and looking for an experienced keeper. This is a unique opportunity to play a key role in the care and development of the Zoo's Primate collection and to actively contribute to conservation both in the zoo and in the field. You will be able to become a part of an organisation that aims to focus the Zoo's resources to benefit conservation, and provide exciting visitor experiences, which inspire and empower people to take positive action for wildlife and the environment.
As a member of the Zoo's Primate team, the primary focus of the role is to care for the Zoo's primate collection, providing best practice husbandry, contributing to our understanding of the biology of these species and delivering attractive animal exhibits and meaningful encounters to our 700,000+ annual visitors.
All applicants must have the following credentials:
- Recognised qualifications in captive animal management and/or zoology/biology
- A minimum of 4 years' experience working with primates
- Experience in the management of Great apes
- A track record of innovative husbandry including development of training and enrichment programmes
- Demonstrated commitment to the conservation of species and ecosystems
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to positively contribute to a team environment
- Excellent understanding of the natural history of primates
- Demonstrated experience leading and developing teams
- Demonstrated ability to deliver excellent customer service
- Sense of fun
- Driver's licence and the ability to drive a manual vehicle
- A thorough understanding of the role nutrition plays in the welfare of captive animals
- An in-depth understanding of the 5 domains of animal welfare
This is a full time role, working on a 7-day rotating roster system including weekends and public holidays. A high level of energy and physical fitness will enable you to meet the daily challenges of the role.
The primate team is looking for someone who is adaptable and open minded with a desire to push themselves to benefit conservation and animal welfare.
Applications close at Sunday, 24 July 2016 at 10.30
This position is deemed a safety sensitive position and will require pre-employment drug testing.
Auckland Council is committed to the protection and wellbeing of children. A component of this role involves interaction with children so, as a part of the assessment of candidates, we will require Police Vetting of candidates to ensure we are providing a safe environment for children. This requirement complies with the Vulnerable Children Act 2014.
TO APPLY GO HERE