TEAM MANAGER - RHINOS
Permanent – Full Time
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.7 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have a fantastic opportunity for a Mammal Team Manager to lead our Rhino Team. The role will involve the daily management of the section along with mentoring, training and developing a large team of staff and interns; building strong working relationships within the team and with other departments. The role will also involve representing the Rhino Team at internal and external meetings, workshops and conferences in the UK and overseas.
The successful candidate will have:
• A minimum of HND or degree level in Zoo Animal Management/Zoological Science, or have equivalent experience
• Proven experience of working within a Zoo environment
• Extensive knowledge and expertise in animal husbandry and management with a focus on two species of rhinoceros and hoof stock including several deer and antelope species
• Animal conservation experience and an understanding of environmental issues
• A proactive approach to developing new ideas for improving husbandry
• Considerable leadership experience and experience of supervising a team
• The ability to organise and prioritise tasks in a dynamic environment
• A proven understanding of risk assessments and COSHH, to ensure all staff members are fully aware of safety and management procedures
• A full driving licence valid in the UK
Competency in the use of computers and basic software packages (including an understanding of ZIMS/SPARKS) would be advantageous for this role.
Salary and Benefits:
Hours of work are 40 hour week on a rota basis (Including some weekends and bank holidays. The salary for the role is £30,227.53 per annum. In addition we offer a range of amazing benefits including:
• a fantastic working environment working with colleagues passionate about the zoo
• a Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with high contribution levels paid by the employer
• healthcare cash plan including dental, optical and physio
• excellent company sick pay arrangements available after 12 months service
• life cover is valued at 4 times annual salary and covers death in service
• Income Protection Insurance protects 50% of your salary due to long term illness or injury
• staff pass which provides unlimited free access into the zoo
• 25 paid holidays and additional bank holidays pro rata to service
• 20 free admittance tickets per year for family/friends which equates to £480
• staff discount from restaurants and retail shops plus a subsidised staff canteen
• access to West Cheshire Credit Union
• child care vouchers
• salary sacrifice cycle scheme
• free car parking
To apply for this position, please provide your current CV and covering letter stating why you believe you should be considered for our Team Manager (Rhinos) role by clicking on http://www.chesterzoo.org/careers.
Application URL : http://www.chesterzoo.careers/applynow/ab807d9bf2a60ead?
Closing date for applications is 24th August 2016
Independent International Zoo Consultant