ASSISTANT TEAM MANAGER – PARROTS & PENGUINS
(Permanent – Full-time)
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out. We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have an exciting vacancy for an Assistant Team Manager on one of our large and varied Bird teams.
The role will involve assisting the Team Manager in the daily management of the Parrots and Penguins section along with mentoring, training and developing the team under the direction of the Team Manager.
The successful candidate will be able to develop and implement new ideas for improving husbandry, building strong working relationships with other departments to ensure standards are met.
This role will also involve representing Chester Zoo and the Parrot team for media interviews and internal and external meetings, workshops and conferences in the UK and overseas.
The successful candidate will have:
• A HND or degree level qualification in a zoological related science or equivalent practical experience
• Extensive knowledge and expertise in all aspects of bird husbandry and practical avicultural management in a zoological institution
• Experience of supervising a team and will have the ability to organise and prioritise tasks in a dynamic environment
• A good understanding of risk assessments and safe working practices
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• A full driving licence valid in the UK
Salary is £24,017.15 per annum for a 40 hour week on a rota basis including weekends and bank holidays. In addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found at http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/careers/working-at-chester-zoo.
To apply for this position, please provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you should be considered for our Assistant Team Manager role to http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/careers.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 21st May 2017.
Independent International Zoo Consultant