Bird Trainer - Seasonal Position
Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Visit this link to apply https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=omahazoo#
or http://www.omahazoo.com/ and click on Now Hiring
The emphasis of this position is primarily focused on assisting in the delivery of the free-flight bird shows: including the daily husbandry and behavioral management of all the animals (primarily birds) that encompass the IAP flight amphitheater area. In addition, the candidate will be expected to be proficient in operant conditioning, and capable of the presentation of a variety of animal species to the public for daily encounters, demonstrations, and shows. This position has a high level of public and animal interaction.
- Assist in Daily husbandry, training and enrichment of the amphitheater animal collection.
- Assist in Presentation of animals to the public in formal and informal settings. This includes formal animal shows and less formal animal encounters.
- Assist in maintenance of animal training techniques with animal collection to exhibit natural behaviors on cue, aide in medical procedures, and improve interaction with the public.
- Assist zoo guests and facilitate their needs regardless of relationship to IAP area.
- Assist with the maintenance of the area buildings and structures, including but not limited to cleaning, painting, light construction, etc…
- Assist with the maintenance of the area grounds including but not limited to plant care, raking, weeding, trash collection, etc…
Exotic/zoo animal husbandry experience preferred.
Operant conditioning experience required.
Experience training & working with a variety of birds is preferred.
Public speaking or theatrical experience preferred.
B.S in biology, animal science, behavior or related field is preferred.
A successful candidate is likely to possess the following abilities, skills and characteristics:
- Able to work 40 hrs/week from May-October. With positive performance reviews, may continue seasonal position annually.
- Effective and engaging public speaker.
- Evident knowledge of basic training techniques, theory and application.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Creative and positive attitude.
- Strong desire to engage the public and train animals.
- Works well with all types of people.
- Basic computer proficiency in Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Ability to lift 50 Lb.
- Able to stand for long periods and work in inclement weather conditions.
- Have patience and sense of humor.
- Ability to drive and operate motor vehicles and hold a valid State Driver’s License.
- Current Tuberculosis Test is required.
- Work has exposure to physical and zoonotic disease risk.
Independent International Zoo Consultant