Tropical Wings Zoo is one of the best interactive zoo attractions in Essex. We pride ourselves on providing a unique butterfly and animal experience with fun for all age groups.
You will be responsible for the day to day care of invertebrates, planting and maintenance. You will have involvement with the general public to answer questions and to contribute towards presentations and interpretation. Your role will ensure that our collection is looked after to the highest standards.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Carry out all essential functions of Animal Keeper/Presenter
• Ensure the physiological and psychological maintenance of your animal collection, including health care
• With the approval of the Head Keeper, develop the invertebrate collection and make suggestions in animal acquisition
• Stay alert to new developments in the maintenance and presentation of the animals in your care
• Have a special awareness for similar institutions within your field, current developments and new innovations elsewhere
• Ensure butterfly/invertebrate stock maintains suitable levels in order to uphold the visual impact of the Tropical House
• Be responsible for satellite enclosures within the Tropical House
• Ensure the care and maintenance of the plants within the Tropical House
To operate effectively in this role, practical experience in a similar environment is essential and experience of working with a range of relevant species desirable.
We inspire our employees to enjoy their role, share ideas and be instrumental in the development of the Zoo.
You should possess at least 2 years animal keeping experience and have strong experience with all species of invertebrate within a BIAZA or EAZA recognised institution and will ideally have completed and passed a Diploma in Animal Management (DMZAA) or equivalent. Horticultural experience is desired for this role.
Excellent communication skills are required for this role as you will be engaging and presenting to the general public, children and/or young people.
The ideal candidate should have proven presentation skills, together with a flexible, ‘can do’ attitude.
We operate on a 5 out of 7 day working week and working at weekends and bank holidays is an essential requirement of the position.
Independent International Zoo Consultant