Curator Birds and Reptiles
Al Ain Zoo and Aquarium
- Supervise staff at the level designated by senior management.
- Develop and mentor progress of UAE National staff.
- Evaluates, adjusts and coordinates husbandry standards and techniques applied to an assigned animal collection according to a zoo master plan.
- Plans, oversees, directs implementation and coordination of animal husbandry programs, reproduction, neonatal care, introductions, moves, restraints and shipments; regularly inspects and observes assigned collection for overall health and welfare.
- Ensures dietary requirements of the assigned collection are met and fulfilled.
- Discusses morbidity and mortality with veterinary and pathology staff.
- Manages and evaluates the performance of animal supervisory staff as assigned.
- Oversees and participates in the preparation and maintenance of a variety of collection records required for collection management.
- Assures the meeting of legal requirements in collection management as well as domestic and international shipping of animals; develops new techniques as required to meet animal shipment regulations; may assist in the acquisition of permits.
- Maintains a variety of contacts in order to respond to inquiries and requests and to effectively coordinate collection maintenance and management activities.
- Assures effective organizational communication and team building, provides specialized training relative to collection husbandry.
- Resolves problems and complaints referred by teams and staff including conflicts in priority and across the organization.
- Executes, and under direction may implement, animal sales, loans, trades and purchases according to zoo collection master plan.
- Assures use of appropriate animal handling, shipment, management and training methodologies for the collection, assures appropriate training of staff in techniques of animal management and transfer.
- Participates in studbook updates and committees.
- Participates in exhibit and facility planning, research and design.
- Recommends exhibit design relative to management and husbandry requirements of species to be incorporated.
- Recommends signage and graphics.
- Maintains a variety of classification appropriate contacts in order to respond to inquiries and requests and to effectively coordinate collection husbandry and maintenance activities.
- Prepares and makes presentations.
- Conducts special tours as required.
- Assures assigned animal collection operations comply with established protocols, professional standards and government regulations.
- Adheres to the organization’s policies and practices.
- Exemplifies the highest standard of work ethics.
- Ensure proper training and capacity building for senior keepers and keepers is on-going.
- Any other relevant duties assigned by the line manager.
- Undertakes similar or related duties where appropriate.
- Follow all ZAPIA EHS policies and procedures.
- Animal management and husbandry skills
- Exhibit design and maintenance desirable
- Manage supervisory staff
- Communicate in English effectively (verbal and written)
- Develop short and long-range strategic and tactical plans
- Professional management skills
- Professional planning s
Learn more and apply HERE
Independent International Zoo Consultant