Keeper – Carnivores
Permanent - 40 hours per week
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Keeper to join us on the Carnivore section. For the right candidate, this post offers a fantastic opportunity to work with a wide variety of mammal species ranging from Sumatran tiger, Asiatic lion, Giant otter, African painted dogs, as well as two species of bear.
Chester Zoo aims to set a benchmark for animal welfare and the successful candidate must be able to deliver an excellent level of animal husbandry, care and welfare for the assigned mammals; ensuring that all enclosures and facilities are maintained to the highest possible standards.
The successful candidate will have:
- A HND or degree level qualification in a zoological related science or equivalent experience
- Proven experience in the care and management of large carnivores, as well as bears and a range of smaller carnivore species relevant to the section, in a zoo or safari park setting, as well as the highest standards of exhibitry
- Outstanding observational skills with excellent attention to detail
- Experience implementing environmental enrichment
- Experience of working within strict Safe Working Practices
- A full driving licence valid in the UK
Competency in the use of computers and basic software packages, including ZIMS software, would be advantageous for this role in order to maintain accurate records.
Hours of work are 40 hours per week, worked 10 days out of 14, including weekends and Bank Holidays as rostered.
The salary for this position is £17,367.09 per annum and in addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found at http://www.chesterzoo.org/footer/careers/working-at-chester-zoo
Independent International Zoo Consultant