Husbandry Asst. (Animal Training)
SeaWorld San Antonio
• Must be at least 18 years old.
• Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
• College background in psychology, zoology, or biology preferred.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain a SEA driver’s license.
• Prior experience working with animals preferred.
• Must have excellent presentation skills.
• Must be able to lift, push, and pull up to 50 lbs.
• Must have a working knowledge of the English language with good verbal and written communication.
• Must be able to identify individual animal species within specific Zoological area.
• Must have strong knowledge of animal behavioral terms and recognize basic animal behaviors.
• Must be able to stand, walk, and work for prolonged periods of time in extreme weather conditions.
• Excellent customer service skills and phone etiquette skills (i.e. answering phone calls, assisting applicants, ambassadors, and guests).
• Must have basic computer skills.
• Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to include weekdays, weekends, evenings, and holidays.
• Consistently practices safe work habits including, but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment, lifting and reporting of unsafe situations.
• Must be willing to comply with all SEA grooming guidelines and employment standards.
• Must be able to successfully complete all legal, company and department training requirements to include but not limited to passing required tests and certifications within established timelines.
• Must be able to pass department swim test.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist with the preparation and feeding of diets to animals within a designated area.
• Maintain the cleanliness and minor maintenance of animal habitat and exhibit areas.
• Prepares food daily and follows fish breakout procedures.
• Perform opening and closing procedures and other duties as assigned.
• May periodically enter the water with snorkel to do miscellaneous water related tasks .
• May include greeting guests and escorting them to and from designated interaction facilities while monitoring their safety while in the animal areas.
• Provide an educational overview of animals and programs.
• Outfit guests with appropriate attire for interactive programs
• May have to clean and maintain interaction facilities (i.e., classrooms, changing areas, restrooms and showers).
• Ability to operate MPR register and book interactions in Global Reservations and cash handling may be required.
• Maintain positive guest interaction through animal presentations.
• Assist full-time keeper staff with animal work and tasks as designated by department management.
• Perform animal observations and record keeping.
• Perform basic animal husbandry and handling possibly including marine mammals, reptiles, amphibians, insects, small mammals, fish and birds.
For more information click HERE
Independent International Zoo Consultant