AL WABRA WILDLIFE PRESERVATION
Sheikh Saoud Bin Mohd. Bin Ali Al-Thani
Application information for the position of Assistant to the Bird Curator
General Information: Located in the state of Qatar, the Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation (AWWP) is the private wildlife breeding centre of Sheikh Saoud Bin Mohammed Bin Ali Al-Thani. AWWP maintains around 2000 animals (800 birds, 1,100 mammals and 100 herps) of approximately 90 species. The bird collection focuses mainly on Birds of Paradise and threatened psittacines, as well as several species of ornamental birds.
The majority of the bird collection is housed in the purpose-built breeding complex, with outdoor aviaries and air-conditioned indoor units. An international team of veterinarians, curators, biologists and keepers (43 staff) runs the wildlife preservation. AWWP is associate member of EAZA and is non-commercial and not open to the
Job Description: The Assistant to the Bird Curator is responsible for supporting the Bird Curator in all aspects of management of the Bird Department, including:
• Aviary maintenance, planting and design.
• Supervision of Bird keepers’ daily routine and food preparation.
• Management of reproductive activity, including bird socializations, maintenance of nest structures and monitoring of eggs, chicks and nest-building behavior.
• Artificial incubation and hand-rearing.
• Supervision of the daily distribution of birds’ medications and routine disease monitoring, as well as assistance in veterinary treatments.
• Supervision and assistance in bird transfers.
• Record-keeping, data collection and data encoding.
• Preparation of guidelines, protocols and working schedules for Bird Department personnel.
• Administration and record-keeping of Bird Department human resources.
• Management of food stocks and insect production.
• Management of equipment, tools and consumption materials.
Applicants for the position must fulfill the following requirements:
• Basic computer skills (Word, Excel and internet as a minimum).
• High level capability in oral and written English.
• Ability to work independently as well as within a team.
The following experiences/skills would be beneficial for the application:
• Experience in bird husbandry, nutrition, disease, ecology and behavior.
• Experience in resource management and organization.
• Experience with staff management, training and communication.
• Experience with record-keeping
• Driving license and craftsman’s ability.
• A conservation philosophy, flexibility in working hours and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Accommodation including electricity and water is free at the preservation. Four weeks annual leave, with one paid return flight-ticket to “home-airport” each year. Flexible working times depending on season. High temperatures, lot of sun and oriental flair. We will offer a two year contract with an initial probationary period.
Salary and contract will be discussed after more application details are known. The position need to be filled with a skilled person, to maintain and increase our standards. Much of our results are ground breaking and of immense value to future breeding and rescue projects of endangered wild animals around the world. Please send a cover letter and CV to:
Curator of Birds
Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation
P.O. Box 44069,
State of Qatar
Fax: +974 471 8707 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For regular updated Zoo News, Views and Vacancies please visit Zoo News Digest on
Are You Ready For Your Interview?
To order or see more click HERE
Please mention Zoo News Digest should you apply for this post. Thank You!