Deputy Head Keeper – Hoofstock Section
(Salary equivalent £18,990 - £20,987 depending on experience)
Howletts & Port Lympne Wild Animal Parks, in conjunction with the Aspinall Foundation, are a charity based organisation committed to protecting rare and endangered animals from extinction through captive breeding and reintroduction programmes. The parks are home of one of the world’s most prized wild animal collections and are one of the biggest visitor attractions in Kent.
We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic and motivated individual to join our team of dedicated Hoofstock keepers at Port Lympne Hotel & Reserve. The section comprises of various ungulate species including; Malayan and Brazilian Tapir, Eastern Bongo, Visayan Warty Pigs, European Bison, Waterbuck, Water Buffalo and Takin among others. The section is involved in reintroduction initiatives for a number of these species.
The main duties will involve:
• Running of the section in the Head keeper’s absence
• Observing the behavior, health and security of animals and reporting any problems
• Reviewing diets and ensuring the correct diets are prepared and distributed
• Cleaning and maintaining enclosures
• Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times
• Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors
• Assisting with the movement and transport of animals
• Supporting in the training of less experienced staff and supervision of volunteers and interns
• Maintaining good and detailed communication at all levels, including veterinary and other animal collections
• Contributing to the enrichment of the species on the section
• Assisting the Head Keeper with administration duties as necessary.
• Representing the parks at seminars and conferences.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience of zoological animal management, in a mainstream zoological collection and an awareness of current conservation issues. Along with a good understanding of Hoofstock species’ biology, natural history, husbandry & welfare the successful candidate will possess excellent all-round animal husbandry skills, excellent communication and interpersonal skills combined with a good knowledge of Microsoft office applications. This is a physically demanding position, so candidates must have a good level of physical fitness and a valid driving licence is essential to the role.
This permanent role is 40 hours a week working 5 days out of 7 including weekends and bank holidays. Normal working times are 8:00am to 5:00pm with 1 hour for lunch. A living out allowance may also be provided if site accommodation is not available.
All applicants must have right to work in the UK.
Closing date: Wednesday 20 June 2018
To apply: Please email a CV along with a covering letter to - email@example.com
Or post to: Human Resources, Port Lympne Wild Animal Park, Lympne, Hythe, Kent, CT21 4PD
Visit our website at www.aspinallfoundation.org for further information
Independent International Zoo Consultant