EAZA CALLITRICHID TAG EDUCATION ADVISOR
THE EAZA CALLITRICHID TAXON ADVISORY GROUP is seeking an Education Advisor.
The TAG covers all species of marmosets and tamarins and currently supports conservation programmes in Colombia (cotton-top tamarin and white-footed tamarin) and Brazil (pied tamarin, buffy tufted-ear marmoset, golden lion tamarin, golden-headed lion tamarin and black lion tamarin).
The TAG meets twice a year, in the spring and at the EAZA meeting in September, and works hard to fulfil its aims between meetings. We are a dynamic and friendly group and work hard to make a difference for these small monkeys. We have a Regional Collection Plan (RCP) (2014), which will be updated after our ICAP and RCP meetings in April 2018. We also have a Best Practice Guidelines (BPG) which are regularly updated.
The TAG’s Education Advisor is an important contributor to the development and work of the TAG.
RECENT ACTIVITIES INCLUDE:
• Helping source students to assist with survey and studbook work whilst carrying out projects
• Contributing to Regional Collection Plan and Best Practice Guidelines documents
• Improving communication and training by the use of modern methods, e.g. using movies as an addition to the BPG
• Improving TAG communication regarding field conservation support with a view of gaining more support from EAZA members for field conservation and also in communicating this to their zoo visitors
• Encouraging zoos to run callitrichid days (e.g. cotton-top tamarin and golden lion tamarin) which both raise funds for projects and also engender public awareness and support in zoos
FUTURE ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES ENVISAGED:
• To further improve communication with EAZA members in assisting them in promoting callitrichid conservation to visitors, using innovative methods, and thus increase support for programmes
• Working with the person in the TAG’s (new) position of marketing advisor to improve awareness of callitrichid behaviour, biology and conservation
• Encouraging callitrichid holders to implement the BPG, train staff, and carry out welfare audits on their animals
• To encourage EAZA collections to use callitrichids in the conservation education programmes by providing them with suitable materials
THE EDUCATION ADVISOR SHOULD:
• Be able to attend the two meetings per year and contributed to the work of the TAG between meetings
• Have the time and resources to assist with the aims and activities of the TAG
• Quickly respond to emails and other correspondence
• Come up with exciting and innovative ideas
Applications should be sent to the TAG Chair email@example.com and to the co-chairs
Eric Bairrão Ruivo, Chair
Dominic Wormell, Vice-Chair
Miranda Stevenson, Vice-Chair
Independent International Zoo Consultant