Based in the heart of England, Twycross Zoo (TZ) is an award-winning conservation charity and rapidly growing visitor attraction. The Zoo is committed to supporting global welfare and conservation efforts in the captive breeding of endangered species whilst supporting projects from many different countries around the world, including Ape Action Africa, Lola Ya Bonobo and the FFI Cao Vit Gibbon Project.
In 2014, the Zoo launched its 20-year, £55million Masterplan. Since this time, new habitats which have opened to the public include Giraffe Savannah and Gibbon Forest. Recently TZ have opened a £3.5 million new world-class chimpanzee habitat, Chimpanzee Eden, and are looking forward to building on this continued growth and success. As part of the Zoo’s Masterplan development programme, other investments have also included new habitats and renovations such as Lorikeet Landing, a Lemur walk-through and Butterfly Forest, all of which offer visitors an immersive and inspiring experience with the animals.
At TZ you’ll be part of an evolving and progressive organisation, with staff engagement at its very core by ensuring inclusion through superb communication. TZ offers a diverse range of roles and is committed to the fundamental approach of equal opportunities in employment. The Zoo’s team strives to educate and inspire everyone to care about, and therefore contribute to saving, the other species with which we share our planet. With a dedicated and enthusiastic team of colleagues at its heart, the Zoo aims to become a recognised “Centre of Excellence” that continues to make a significant contribution to the welfare and conservation of animals, especially primates, by being at the heart of conservation.
What will this role of Animal Keeper entail?
As an Animal Keeper, you’ll play a key role in caring for the animals in the Large Mammals section of Twycross Zoo, ensuring that animal keeping is carried out to the Zoo’s required standards. Your duties will include but not be limited to;
• Preparing and distributing food and water to animals
• Assisting with the capture and restraint of animals when required
• Learning about the animals and reporting any animal health concerns to the Section Head
• Assisting with maintaining enclosures, food preparation and public viewing areas to a high standard of hygiene, cleanliness and exhibition
• Motivating and encouraging colleagues, and assisting with the development of trainee Keepers and providing guidance to work experience students and apprentices
• Answering enquiries from the public in a helpful and polite manner, whilst working closely with the visitor experience team, helping guests feed the animals etc.
• Willing to be trained as a first aider and to be on call as part of the Zoo's first aid duty rota
What will I need to be considered for this Animal Keeper vacancy?
• At least 2 years’ experience of animal keeping, along with an appropriate animal related qualification (or willing to work towards)
• Superb knowledge of animals and all responsible work practices relevant to zoonotic diseases
• A passion in the Zoo’s work and purpose
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work effectively without supervision, with a flexible approach to duties and working hours
What will I receive in return?
Salary: £18,895 per annum
Contract Type: Permanent
Working Hours: 5 days out of 7, 8am to 6pm and 8am to 5pm during the winter months
Benefits: 31 days holiday per annum (inclusive of bank holidays), along with the benefit of a staff membership card, giving you free entry to the Zoo on your days off and discounts in our retail and food outlets. Free onsite parking.
Location: Atherstone, Warwickshire (on the A444, which is easily accessed via the A5 and the M42 Junction 11).
All applications to be submitted online, and strictly no agency calls or agency CV submissions.
To apply for this position, please head over to www.jobs.twycrosszoo.org , where you will be able to select this role and submit your CV for consideration.
Independent International Zoo Consultant