Position: WZ Senior Animal Keeper – Farm (Full-Time / Permanent Contract)
Salary: £26,410 (Inclusive of Weekend Enhancement)
Location: ZSL Whipsnade Zoo – LU6 2LF
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
Overview of Role:
An opening has arisen for a Senior Animal Keeper on our HUB Farm Section at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. Ideal candidates will have experience of working with a variety of domestic farm stock, the HUB Section comprises a range of animals including sealions, bird demonstrations and breeding birds. Although this position is based on the farm area a demonstrated and practical understanding of training and conditioning of animals for husbandry and public displays would be extremely advantageous.
The HUB section is a public facing and interactive area of the zoo meaning public interaction skills on a 1-1 basis is essential. This position will also assist the Team Leader, Deputy Team Leader and other Senior Keepers in all aspects of their work but primarily the care of the animals, ensuring high standards of animal husbandry and welfare. Keeping daily checks and records of animals within the section, but also be the main point of contact for the daily running of the farm and the ability look at ways to develop this area.
Please note: This is a full-time, permanent position based at Whipsnade Zoo. Flexible working is required for this position which will include working 2 in 3 weekends, bank holidays and providing assistance out of hours if required. A full clean driving license is essential.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Observing the behaviour, health and security of animals reporting any problems to the Team leader or Deputy Team leaders.
- Assisting with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
- Cleaning and maintaining exhibits and other designated areas.
- Develop and evolve husbandry practices in consultation with the Team Leader and Deputy Team Leader
- Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are followed at all times.
- Ensuring that conditions for animals are suitable and reporting any problems, including defects or repairs required to enclosures, to the senior staff on section and relevant departments required.
- Assisting with the movement and/or training of animals and/or animal demonstrations
- Supporting in the training and mentoring and development of less experienced staff.
- Maintaining courteous and helpful relations with visitors and media.
- Supporting broader ZSL lead events such as late evenings and specialist functions.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a good level of skill and knowledge with a proven work record with a variety of domestic farm stock.
- Have strong attention to detail and the ability to clearly convey instruction.
- Have demonstrated supervisory skills and be able to delegate/allocate workload.
- Able to use Microsoft software including Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Have a qualification in a relevant field at university level and/or DZMAA or equivalent work experience.
- Be able to demonstrate initiative and a pro-active approach to completing tasks.
- Confident at presenting to small and large, varied zoo audiences.
- Evolving husbandry management with positive re-enforcement training for behavioural management.
- Knowledge of techniques used to handle specific animals should catch ups or veterinary procedures require this.
- Be reliable, good time-keeping and attendance record demonstrating leadership and professionalism.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) by clicking the "Apply f r this job online" button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 5th August 2018.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
Independent International Zoo Consultant