Senior Keepers (2 positions)
Al Bustan Zoological Centre
Deadline for applications: 10 August 2018
Al Bustan Zoological Centre (ABZC) is a privately owned zoo in the Sharjah emirates in the United Arab Emirates with an extensive animal collection.
The General Senior keepers are responsible for supporting the Curator of birds & Reptiles, Mammals and the Veterinarian team in all aspects of management of the animal collection on ABZC, including:
• Supervision of Keepers’ daily routine and food preparation.
• Animal welfare and husbandry.
• Management of reproductive activity as per the collection plan that may include artificial incubation and hand-rearing.
• Supervision of the daily distribution of medications and routine disease monitoring, as well as assistance in veterinary treatments.
• Record-keeping, data collection and data encoding.
• Implementation of guidelines, protocols and working schedules for all Department and personnel.
• Administration and record-keeping of the collection.
• Management of food stocks and in-house insect production.
Applicants for the position must fulfil the following requirements:
• At least 3 years experience in captive husbandry
• A degree / diploma in zoology, ornithology or another related field are preferred. DMZAA will be the minimum qualification and if your qualification is not specialized in captive animal management, you will be expected to enrol in this course.
• Extensive knowledge of Zoo animal husbandry, nutrition, disease, ecology and behaviour.
• Expertise in artificial incubation and hand-rearing techniques.
• Experience with record-keeping and data collection.
• Basic computer skills (Word, Excel and internet as a minimum, knowledge of ZIMS would be an advantage).
• High level capability in oral and written English.
• Flexibility in working hours and an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Initial contract is for 2 years; starting with a probationary period of 3 months.
• Work schedule is based on 6 days / 48 hours per week.
• Working hours depending on the season.
• 1 month paid holiday per year excluding official holidays in UAE.
• One paid return economy ticket to “home-airport” per year;
• Salary depends on experience and highest degree obtained.
• Shared Accommodation, is included at ABZC
• Medical Insurance included.
Please submit a motivation letter, 2 references with contact details and CV to:
firstname.lastname@example.org all applications will be handled as confidential and if you don’t receive feedback after 30 days, your application was unsuccessful.
Independent International Zoo Consultant