Thursday, April 22, 2021

Zoo Jobs - Do I continue?

  





Zoo Jobs - Do I continue?

 

ZooNews Digest/Zoo Jobs has operated as a free service to the zoo and aquarium community for over thirty years.

In its present Blog format it has posted over 4,103 vacancies which received 67,578,27 visits and 28,700+ just during April.

There has never been a formal charge for this service. I actively search for vacancies and have only asked for a voluntary donation. I work unpaid for many hours on this free service each day. True enough most, but not all, of these vacancies can be found elsewhere. I make it easier.

A couple of days ago I came upon a plush big website called 'Jobs in Zoos'.

Apparently Zoos which use this new website are Chester Zoo, Twycross Zoo and Longleat. For this they pay £249.00 a month on the monthly plan or get 12 months for the price of 10 on the Annual plan.

For me this was like a kick in the teeth. I haven't had a donation from Chester Zoo in several years and have never had a donation from Twycross Zoo or Longleat in spite of advertising for them dozens of times.

Furthermore I have not received £249.00 in total for all vacancies posted out over the past two years.

A vacancy posted out on the Zoo Jobs Blog goes to 129,400+ Followers on the ZooNews Digest Facebook page, 8,700+ Zoo/Aquarium interest connections on Linkedin as well as others on Twitter and Pinterest.

I know I reach the right people. On occasion I have emails of thanks from Keepers, Aquarists and Directors telling me they would never have got their jobs if they had not seen it on the Zoo Jobs Blog.



During this Pandemic I have been unable to work. I have had no salary for over a year and no government handouts and the added unexpected medical expenses.

Donating to help me continue is as easy as clicking on the Donate Button at top left of this page. Thank you. Rant over.



elvinhow@gmail.com

 

 


photo 
Peter Dickinson
Independent International Zoo Consultant



No comments: