Dartmoor Zoo are looking to take on a Senior Keeper within the Animal Department, who will be an experienced, enthusiastic and highly motivated individual.
The duties will be to assist the animal management team in the running of the Animal Department to ensure high standards of welfare and husbandry for the animals. You will be a good team worker, able to motivate others, as well as show initiative, and have a positive outlook. You will share record keeping, staff and volunteer deployment, control of food stocks and other supplies, and any other tasks that are deemed reasonable within the Animal Department. Taking your lead from the Head Keeper you will also play an integral role in training and enrichment of the animals, as well as maintenance of their enclosures.
Please read the advert carefully to avoid misunderstandings
Requirements of the position;
- You will be required to have a minimum of three years full time employment in a recognised Zoo environment.
- You should have passed the DMZAA or equivalent, or be prepared to gain those qualifications.
- Hold a full U.K. driving licence, and have your own vehicle due to location.
- You will be required to communicate with outside agencies such as the Vet or suppliers.
- Keep up to date with current practices in animal husbandry and welfare, and have a working knowledge of the Conservation and Education roles within modern Zoos.
- Good IT skill with a knowledge of record keeping, and able to use, or learn to use, ZIMS.
- Be prepared to assist in Veterinary procedures when necessary .
- Be able to keep calm in stressful situations, and be able to handle and manage animals during certain procedures.
- Have a basic understanding of D.I.Y.
- On occasions be able to take charge in the event that a senior manager is not available.
- You will be required to work Bank Holidays and weekends, and any other specified day or evening if we are hosting special events.
- You will also represent DZP at Conferences when required.
- You will have two fixed days off per week.
Wages will be £16,000 p/a.
Previous applicants need not apply.
Please register your interest by sending a cover letter and current C.V. to Mike Downman, Curator of Animals, at firstname.lastname@example.org by mid-day on Friday 28th October. Interviews will take place shortly after that date
Independent International Zoo Consultant