WEEKEND ZOO RANGER
Permanent – 19.5 hours per fortnight
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.7 million visitors an inspirational day out. We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have an exciting vacancy for a Weekend Zoo Ranger to join our award winning Discovery & Learning team in delivering public education around the Zoo.
This will include one to one engagement, exhibition supervision and other educational activities. Audiences vary from 1 to 500 or more, and there is lots of public interaction requiring a confident and outgoing personality.
The successful candidate will have:
• a degree in Zoo Biology or a conservation-related field and/or experience of working within a zoo, conservation organisation or similar environment
• a good knowledge of the natural world and conservation
• a dynamic and creative mind, and be able to deliver high quality public engagement opportunities to our visitors
• excellent customer service skills , and be able to work alone as well as part of a team
• good organisational and time management skills
Experience of working in the zoo education field and knowledge of Chester Zoo’s animal collection and conservation work would be an advantage.
Hours of work are 6.5 hours per day, worked 3 days out of 14. This includes working two days on one weekend and one day on the second weekend, and may include occasional evening work too.
The rate of pay is £8.35 per hour.
In addition we offer a range of amazing benefits including:
• a fantastic working environment working with colleagues passionate about the zoo
• a Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with high contribution levels paid by the employer
• healthcare cash plan including dental, optical and physio
• excellent company sick pay arrangements available after 12 months service
• life cover is valued at 4 times annual salary and covers death in service
• Income Protection Insurance protects 50% of your salary due to long term illness or injury
• staff pass which provides unlimited free access into the zoo
• 25 paid holidays and additional bank holidays (pro rata to hours)
• 20 free admittance tickets per year for family/friends which equates to £480
• staff discount from restaurants and retail shops plus a subsidised staff canteen
• access to West Cheshire Credit Union
• child care vouchers
• salary sacrifice cycle scheme
• free car parking
Due to the nature of the role, this post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
To apply for this position, please provide your current CV and covering letter stating why you believe you should be considered for our Weekend Zoo Ranger role
Application URL : http://www.chesterzoo.careers/applynow/be98c86e1ed8aff5?s=ZooNewsDigest
Closing date for applications is Sunday 30th October 2016.
Independent International Zoo Consultant